Real Gardens

Ketzel Levine’s Garden has Everything – Except Ketzel

Ketzel1400
I was NOT going to spend 5 days in Portland for the Garden Writers thingie without taking Ketzel up on her invitation to see her garden, so I found a couple of her fans with a car, and off we went for a private tour.  Ketzel2400

Turns out her garden is just as wild and sociable as you’d imagine, and packed with plants I can’t grow in Maryland.  Seating areas start in the front yard (fenced and very private, top photo) and continue in the back where there’s a stunning water feature to mask the sounds of the city.  And check out the great colors of the house itself – pea green, orange and brown on a cute bungalow.  Ketzel3400

Too bad the gardener herself was missing – still back in D.C. talking to her NPR bosses – and not available to ID all her weird plants for us.  Not to mention pour us a nice Oregon wine.

Posted by on September 22, 2008 at 10:26 pm, in the category Real Gardens.

12 Responses to “Ketzel Levine’s Garden has Everything – Except Ketzel”

1. You visited the garden and the gardener wasn’t even there! You’re a wild woman, Susan. But then I knew that about you–and was sad not to be with you.

Robin
    Ntl Gardening Examiner
    (and chicken lover)

2. Susan – hey, has this Portland trip been a trip, or what? It was so much fun to hang out with my cross-country blogging buddy and get to know you a wee bit better. I’m writing to give you your props on this last little post – I’ve thought of gardens as being wild, but “sociable” is a descriptor I’ll have to add to my word collection. Hadn’t thought of using it for a physical garden. It works.

Later, skater. Safe journey back east.

3. Oooo ! I’d love to see more photographs of this garden!
    It looks alluring.
    Do I detect a Marcia Donahue sculpture standing in the charcoal colored water feature , hiding behind that Firmiana simplex ?

Hope to see more photos and hear more tales of your recent trip to the PNW.
    I’m flying off to Spain to explore some gardens and will probably have a few tales to tell too.

Adios!

4. Cool funky garden and what a great color on the house

The TROLL

5. TC says:

I’ve never heard of Ketzel Levine. But I like that garden!

6. Christa says:

Susan! Great shots are you going to post more on flickr? Great to meet you, thanks for writing about this gorgeous garden,
    Christa

7. Barbara says:

What kind of siding is on her house? That is not cedar but looks REALLY nice – what do my fellow and green gardeners recommend for siding on their houses? Cedar is a real pain!

8. Pam/Digging says:

I echo your other commenters: more pics please!

9. And Susan, dear, I am wondering why you didn’t take me to see that garden? I had a car! I am wildly jealous.

10. Old Kim says:

I’m remembering advice from that Christopher Lowell guy on TV and he said trim should be lighter. Those colors just look wrong and too contrived.

11. susan harris says:

Readers, Mary Ann has received a full mea culpa about the spur-of-the-moment opportunity to run see this garden, how I solicited people on the last bus back to the hotel from a day of touring, blah, blah. I hope it worked coz she’s the BEST.
    Also, I DO wish I’d been better organized while in Portland, and that I had a cell phone that actually worked.

12. T Carl Jackson says:

In case you didn’t hear, Ketzel got the axe from NPR as a result of the economic downturn. Let us all wish her the best under the worst of economic conditions. At least she has the ability to grow her own food.