August 2008, GardenRant Edition. The whole thing, with sidebar, is archived right here.
In the News
Kudos to the Missouri Botanical Garden for their award-winning plastic pot recycling program [pdf]. Started in 1997, the program has kept 300 tons of hort waste out of
Treehugger reports some good news about
switchgrass – that it improves the soil and is looks promising as a nonfood
biofuel. Speaking of fuel, can kudzu
be turned into ethanol? How about giant miscanthus?
It’s proving to yield more biofuel per acre than corn.
- In more plant news, rubber is being produced from dandelions,
which may turn out to be THE low-cost alternative to trees.
- While there’s still no definitive explanation for the Colony Collapse
Disorder of honeybees, bumblebees aren’t doing much better, reports Adrian
- Troubled by deer in your garden? Hey, it could be bears
– the kind that attacks gardene
On the Blogs
- SOME gardenbloggers are willing to go off-topic long enough to promote a candidate
for office – like Craig at Ellis Hollow and Amanda at Kiss my Aster. Others of us are keeping our political preferences a big secret.
New on Sustainable-Gardening
Exciting news: contributors! Like who?
- Rainyside Garden’ Debra Teachout-Teashon wrote "My
gardening practices aren’t so out there after all!" about her life-long affinity for organic gardening.
- Garden Lady C.L. Fornari wrote about her favorite "Carefree
Perennials" for sustainable gardeners.
- Florida’s Ginny Stibolt urges readers to "Just say no
- And back to me, I try to cover the lawn basics for early fall: "How to start a new
lawn," "How to overseed
a crappy lawn" and "How to patch bare
spots." And thanks to Jeff Ball for
all his help!
- Poison Ivy
Update is all the latest advice, including comments from GardenRant
- Weeds and
Weeding is an overview of our Job One this time of year. Then in The Weeds in My
Garden I get up close and personal, with photos.
My So-called Second Career
Sustainable-Gardening.com has its first sponsors! They’re in the sidebar
on every page and on the About Sponsors and
Partners page. Thanks and welcome!
My new articles on
those Fertilizing, Rototilling Wonders of the Garden
Composters are Here to Teach
- Easy-Care, High-Impact Hydrangeas
to Water your Garden
- Find a Gardening
Blog Near You
to Grow Food Organically and Sustainably