Real Gardens

MWG Seeks Lurie Garden for Discreet Chicago Encounters, Possibly More?

Lurie_2

You:  World-class urban garden designed by Dutch naturalistic gardener Piet Oudolf

Me:  Disorganized and distracted California gardener who longs to cultivate effortlessly cool wildness.

If you are rangy, weedy, and overgrown, but with a hip, urban sensibility, you may be the garden I’m looking for.  Prickly seed pods, tough root systems, and muscular stems a plus.  Must be sophisticated enough for jazz on warm summer nights, but rough-and tumble enough to take the heat and the wicked cold.

Lurie2_2

I’m tired of pampered annuals that disappear the morning after and never call again. My ideal garden knows what it wants and isn’t afraid to go out and get it. I’m looking for plants that don’t seek anyone else’s approval and have the confidence to stand tall all year, even after they’ve gone to seed.

Luriemonarch

Must love wildlife. Must hate plant tags; alternative forms of signage a plus.

Luriesign

If this sounds like you, meet me in Chicago’s Millennium Park around sunset.  No phone calls, please–my regular garden thinks I’m out of town on business.  Discretion appreciated.  You won’t be sorry.

Posted by on August 25, 2008 at 5:36 am, in the category Real Gardens.

6 responses to “MWG Seeks Lurie Garden for Discreet Chicago Encounters, Possibly More?”

1. mary says:

Two-timing on your garden, that’s a new one. Love it!

2. sarahammocks says:

The problem is, one tryst with the Lurie just isn’t enough! I know–I’m hankering to get back there, meanwhile trying to recapture that prairie allure in my piedmont VA garden with rattlesnake master, switchgrass, amsonia, etc.

3. greg draiss says:

How dare thou leave your significant other for such a SEEDY character. I suggest counseling to get to the ROOT of your perennial issues. Volunteer to BRANCH out and discuss.you have so MULCH to talk about.

The (glad I didn’t hang around the IGC too long..look what happened to Amy) TROLL

4. germi says:

I have been having a plant based love affair with Piet Oudolf since I started this garden obsession 12 years ago. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Millennium Park garden! I wish I could grow rudbeckias and angelicas and echinops ritro… the grasses I can do, the prairie plants just laugh at me and decide to play wan and silly.
    Boo.
    I’m with you – gimme some of that action!

5. Thomas Fraley says:

WRONG…. designed by Gustafson Guthrie Nichol of Seattle, WA. Winner of the 2008 ASLA Award of Excellence in the General Design Category. Obviously they have better judgement than you do.

6. As a garden maintenance girl I have so many lovely gardens in my own life, but I have to admit after going to Lurie for the first time last fall…
    I long to return and can’t help but occasionally fantasize about it’s many charms while working in my own gardens.
    Come visit me at http://www.gartengrl.blogspot.com