Eat This

Just in time – garden-size cattle

Dexter

The London Times reports that German shepherd-sized Dexter cattle, the "world’s most
efficient, cutest and tastiest cows”, are selling like hotcakes.  Though diminutive, one Dexter will produce 16 pints of milk a day that can be drunk
unpasteurized, and it’ll keep your lawn mowed, too.  And their calves are nifty as family pets… until they’re sent off to slaughter at the age of two.

See, I just don’t GET how kids can deal with that.  But then I’m suburban-grown myself.

Thanks to Christopher for the tip.  Photo credit.

Btw, there’s a timely but thoroughly off-topic post on my blog called "How Joe Biden Treats the Help".

Posted by on August 23, 2008 at 12:43 pm, in the category Eat This.

14 Responses to “Just in time – garden-size cattle”

1. greg draiss says:

Do they make mini cow pies as well?

The (MOO) TROLL

2. tai haku says:

German shepherd size? Do you guys have 4 foot high 350kg german shepherds over there?

3. Doug Green says:

When my daughter was 5, her job was to collect the eggs. And when the rooster of the day (we kept one for the heck of it) got a little older, he’d get ornery. One day, the rooster of the year attacked my daughter as she was doing her chores and managed to put a good sized scratch on her cheek. We patched her up and I went back to the hen house with her to finish the job. Her response to the rooster, “Mr. Rooster, we’re going to eat you.” So we did the next week in a stew.

Kids who grow up knowing the cycles of life and death are imho much better balanced individuals. They understand that there’s a season for everything and they can celebrate life and death in a more complete fashion -whether it be animal or human.

I also note they don’t anthropomorphize the animals, respecting them for their contribution to our lives.

As for milking cows – been there, done that. Cows, even little cows, eat a lot of hay and most of it goes right on through. You get to put it in one end and shovel it out the other. Raising worms for compost is a lot easier. ;-)

4. We have a client that pays premium to bring in manuer fertilizer to their landscaped horse ranch.. and they pay a premium to have their own horse waste trucked offsite! The idea of it drives me nuts, but hey.. whatever makes you feel clean…

I like the blog.. please come check out our new blog sometime where we post tips for landscaping, gardening and offer some free plants and images.

5. Shibaguyz says:

Jason is freaking out now that I’m going to want to get these cattle now instead of dogs. LOL

You have to admit, that’s a pretty healthy output for such a small animal. I wonder how they get by without the pasteurization? And how does their upkeep compare to goats?

hhhhmmmm…

6. Michele Owens says:

Wow, this is dangerous information for a frustrated farmer like me. As it is, I just came back from the Washington County Fair threatening to install dwarf goats in my 7500 square-foot urban yard. Why not a cute little cow, too?

7. The thought is tempting which is why I had to send it on to you Susan. I have the land and there are all kind cows around here. I just don’t have lawn or pasture and I am not willing to chop down the forest to get it.

8. Michele Owens says:

Oh, Christopher, a little dozer work and you’ll have some great pastureland. It wouldn’t take much to support a pair of these charmers.

I’ve got 15 acres of farmland that probably hasn’t been farmed for 40 years. I think my husband and I are doing the local wildlife a favor by taking out some trees and mowing a few fields once a year and keeping it from turning completely into forest.

9. Brenda says:

I grew up on a farm, and I STILL can’t stand the thought of butchering animals I’ve gotten to know. My dad is horrified that I never toughened up:) I’m 48 now so I think it’s a lost cause!

10. Teresa Sabankaya says:

OK, cannot leave this one alone! I would MUCH rather have these cuties than my daughters goats. Goats are cute when they’re little, and my daughter LOVES goat milk. BUT, they do NOT mow the lawn but rather eat my premium cut flowers when they break out of their pen, make lots of noise when they’re hungry, etc. I don’t know…that little cow is awfully CUTE! Susan…why on earth did you post that picture? YIKES! HHHMMMMM…

11. Rosella says:

Wow! Wouldn’t one or two of them look just adorable with my (imaginary) flock of Araucana chickens? And I think they would fit perfectly in my 1/3rd of an acre suburban garden!

12. Cathy S. says:

Brenda, goats like to browse best, sheep and cattle mow grass best.
    Dexter cattle and the like were what we started with. We bred the bigger cattle and finally got the cattle we know today. These guys luckily were kept around and now are getting popular again. They are so cute.

13. lawremc says:

I think you are taking a risk drinking any milk unpasteurized. I know some folks say that pasteurization process destroys some vital nutrients, but I wouldn’t risk my loved ones. Organic dairy north of us by about 2 hours sells pasteurized milk, but it’s not homogenized so the cream still rises to the top. I always have to remind my husband to shake it up.

As for the horse farm that truck out its manure, you said it was “landscaped”. If they want to keep it landscaped, they probably do have to remove the manure unless they want to manage some very hot compost piles. Horses, since they are not ruminants like cows, pass out weed seeds about as viable as they went in. So spreading horse manure can be a recipe for spreading weeds. Give me cow or bunny manure any day.

14. Anita says:

Grass raised, *fresh*, raw milk is not really a health risk for most folks. Of course, it should come from a farmer you trust (like yourself). Dexters are small, but they’re not that small. And cows can be a real pain health-wise, not to mention a commitment – people should be reminded what it means to have to milk a cow every twelve hours for months at a stretch. I don’t have time to eat breakfast, much less milk a cow.

Chickens, on the other hand . . .