Unusually Clever People

Garden Fairies – Counterculture Garden Clubbers of W. Florida

Peace400
Sgarden400
Cookiefairies400_2

Poster400Sign400

Fence400

Posted by on August 23, 2008 at 3:22 am, in the category Unusually Clever People.

7 responses to “Garden Fairies – Counterculture Garden Clubbers of W. Florida”

1. commonweeder says:

The Greenfield Garden Club in Massachusetts is equally welcoming and equally civic minded. Men and women. I’m proud to be a member, althuogh, since I live 35 miles away my support and participation is limited. I do think there are lots of garden clubs similar to the GGC, and our communities are more beautiful and richer for it.

2. Diana says:

Ah, the joy of one’s peer group – and not having to explain everything.

You go girls!

3. Ann says:

I am going to try to start one of these! I have a huge garden, beyond my personal capabilities to maintain — or even to envision something different. But I’m willing to start by putting in much sweat equity in someone else’s yard — a great way to make friends and steal good ideas!

4. Thanks, Susan, for mentioning our seven Divas of the Dirt in the same post with this group of Fun Florida Fairies. The photos are great.

420 members? Wow! No wonder the earth moves!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose/Glinda from the Divas of the Dirt

5. Layanee says:

The smiles on their faces tell the tale! There should be a garden club for everyone and if this works for these gardeners-great! There are many garden clubs which welcome all to participate and provide a wealth of information and civic beautification to their communities. Something to consider if you love gardening.

6. germi says:

This sounds lovely!
    I was in a garden club made up of LA area artists, and all was good until we got a spread in Garden Design magazine. Then the competitive freak-out began. We didn’t last a year after! Boo!
    I wish these ladies lots of luck – keep up the great, important, out-of-the-box- garden play!!!

7. Ivette
    I distinctly remember the spread your group got in Garden Design magazine. It was an inspiration for me to keep the Garden Fairy group going.

Your group looked so much like us– west/ east coast bookends. Ego is always an issue in any community, it’s sad to hear that the press you received precipitated the demise of your group.

People have commented that our group is full of chiefs, who somehow get along with each other. Maybe our success has to do with a counterculture vibe that Susan wrote about or perhaps we have gotten to the point were we would rather dig than fight. It also has to do with were we live- Florida is a transient place, finding like minded people is for many of us, is akin to finding a new family. Whatever it is- the flock continues to thrive, we’re up to 420 members, going on eleven years! I am hoping more people will find a way to dig together, it is great for the body and the soul.

– Siobhan