Uncategorized

Do You Facebook? Are you LinkedIn?

Facebook — I’ve got a page, and my books have a page.

Linkedin — Social networking for professionals; lots of creative types and garden writers are joining.

RedRoom — Where the writers are.

LibraryThing — Catalog your library and get to know people with similar tastes.  LibraryThing hosts author chats,  offers an early reviewers program,  lists author events in your area, and even lets you explore the libraries of famous dead people.

Shelfari — Like LibraryThing, with discussion boards, Facebook and MySpace apps, and more.

GoodReads — Another great book networking site with author interviews, advance book giveaways, etc.

BookTour — A cool site for authors, readers, and venues. Request an author, find out who’s coming to town, get your venue listed.

Eventful
— Not just for authors, but a great site for tracking performers of
all kinds and requesting that they come to your area.  You can also
sign up for notification of events in your community.

Posted by on August 21, 2008 at 10:30 am, in the category Uncategorized.

20 responses to “Do You Facebook? Are you LinkedIn?”

1. Markus says:

I’m surprised. Social networks everywhere, for business-people, for students, for moms and dads, for older people, for sport-fans. Why not for gardeners? It would be the logical next thing after forums: forums with a social component.
    Are there in the US networks for gardeners? In the german speaking countries there are none til now… But, we are preparing one: http://www.unitedgardeners.com. We hope that it will go live in September or october. Why not start a english version (the title is already englisch;-) if there is a need?
    The functions will be very Facebook-like, status, profiles, friends, groups, group-disussions, blogs, a marketplace, blogs and blogaggregators (bloggers can import their feeds in the profil…) Plus pictures and questions/answers. For the german version we have already ca 4000 questions/answers and also 4000 pics to start (from our shopsite http://www.lubera.de).
    Gardeners unite!!!

2. Flickr would be great for gardeners too!

3. If nothing else, the social networking sites provide inbound links to your website, which will raise its standings in the search engine races.

Red Room is only for legitimately published authors–publish-on-demand and vanity press books do not count.

My friend Lucia St. Clair Robson, historical novelist and NY Times bestseller, has put her appearances on book tour for about a year now. You can check the traffic for your events and she said that not one person has ever looked at any of her events. She keeps it up, though because you just never know…

In addition to my transplanted gardener site, I also have a site for writers (www.websiteideas4writers.com) where I’ve posted several article on managing your online presence.

4. I’m LinkedIn. I Tweet, and I Plurk. I find that they are each good for different things, but they can take up a lot of time, and you have to decide how much time to devote to it. I enjoy Plurk for socializing, but I’ve gotten more blog traffic bec/of it. Twitter drives traffic too. I’m not sure how LinkedIn will help me yet. We’ll just have to see. Great post.~~Dee

5. John says:

I live on Gardenweb. Maybe it was set up as a forum site but most of us on the Carolina Gardening forum use it for anything and everything including social networking.

Personally I host two plant swaps (Spring and Fall) and a seed swap in the winter. As many as 55 gardeners show up and pot luck picnic as well as trade plants and shoot the shit all afternoon long. The trading is total chaos without any real structure – even people without plants are allowed in (best if they bring goodies). We’ve been doing it for years and it only gets bigger and bigger each year.

6. Fine Gardening is working on the social networking piece (facebook and myspace so far). To us, the first step is building a presence and then providing something useful. It’s definitely a work in progress.
    We’d love more friends though!

7. Social networking is great; the treadmill of having to sign up for the next new networking site every time a new one is released, which seems like it happens every six minutes, is not. I had to draw the line at Facebook / Plurk / Twitter. The blog eats enough of my time by itself, and I (like John) spend a lot of time at Garden Web besides.

Also I just really don’t understand Twitter. I mean, I get how it works. It’s the *why* that gives me problems.

8. Krys says:

I have accounts on Facebook, LinkedIn & Twitter and avoid logging in like the plague. I guess some of these sites are a great tool for tracking people down (Hmmmm? Do I really WANT to be tracked down?), but that’s about it. Once contact has been made, email or Skype are more efficient means of internet-based communication. And Twitter? Let’s just say that my take on it is that it’s for the birds.

9. I Facebook, but I initially signed up to keep an eye on the kids’ activity. Then a high school friend found me on there and all of a sudden it’s a reunion. Since I have tried to be somewhat anonymous with my blog, it hadn’t occurred to me to link to it from my Facebook page, but it’s not a bad idea. For the rest of them…I’m much more likely to call a friend on the phone or on Skype if they live overseas. From the office all of those things are blocked so if I want to chat with a friend it’s old school emails back and forth.

10. Reading Dirt says:

I recently acquired a Facebook page, but I’m darned if I know what to do with it.

11. Marte says:

I don’t even know what Twitter is, but I do have a Facebook page. I hardly ever look at it though, although I keep getting requests to be my friend and I like that!! Since most of my real friends live far away.

12. Rick says:

Myspace, Facebook, Twitter and Plurk (I have a Plurk account)are considered by me as big time sucks. Between trying to write a weblog, personal email, read a few fellow weblogs (like this one, for example) and keep up with the news and world events, there is not much time left for other “networking” sites. I mean, I do want to work in my garden at least some…

13. greg draiss says:

I find facebook very hard to use unless you have a million friends who want you to be their friend as well. Other than that it is just too hard logging in and telling everyone what I am up to on face book or my space for that matter. Personal blogs work better as far as I am concerned.

The (just returned from the IGC show in Chicago) TROLL

14. Kitt says:

Too much work! I’d rather be gardening. (And yes, I’ve tried most of them.)

I do enjoy my local gardening listserv, as it’s low traffic and deals with the very specific conditions of Front Range gardening.

15. Nic & Nath says:

Make sure to add Folia to your list! We’re the gardening social network that won the Mouse & Trowel award for best Gardening Website 2008 (and you guys also gave us a lovely review early this year – http://www.gardenrant.com/my_weblog/2008/04/my-folio.html ) We’ve got heaps of the features mentioned by the first poster – groups, garden and planting profiles, activity & planting feeds, seed swaps and heaps more. We also have flickr and picasa / blogspot linkage so you can link to your photos with ease. On top of all that networking goodness, we have developed a great set of garden tracking tools (planting day counters, visual planting timelines, tasks etc.) and we are still busy developing even more! So, for anyone that still hasn’t heard about us (and we know there are a lot of you!) come check us out (we are a really friendly bunch)! http://www.myfolia.com

16. shira says:

I signed up under pressure from a few younger family members. I also have had the “high school/college reunion” thing going on, and it’s been a lot of fun. In addition I’ve used it to spread info about the community garden where I work, and it’s touched off a lot of questions about growing veggies, etc. I’m a bit afraid how addicted I will become in the winter when I actually have some time! Jessica, I just added you, I’d love to have Fine Gardening as my friend!

17. Kim says:

No, not yet. I may sign up for a Facebook page when and if my kid shows any interest. Other than that, I spend enough time in front of the computer. I read blogs, and I blog for my own writing pleasure. I’d like to have more folks read my blog – since they don’t, I’ve run out of blogging steam lately. But I just don’t have time for any of the other internet pasttimes unless I can figure out a way to not have to work. 😉

18. Benjamin says:

All the cool cats have facebook. I first signed up when my marketing job on a university campus required it for “research.” Then I used it to spy on student comments from some trouble makers in my classes. Now I’ve started using it for real–to get in touch with people I’ve lost touch with. Still, it’s just one more freaking thing to keep up with–which is why I won’t be on a garden site or twitter or digg or whatever… I DO have a life. Some day when I have a book, I’m sure the publisher will encourage the use of these media. Alas. You know, I bet reading all of these comments is sort of time consuming too….

19. Social networking for the gardening crowd is a great idea, especially the pro garden designer, writer, blogger, nursery pro or vendor.

I just came back from Chicago’s Independent Garden Center show and am thankful for some of the LinkedIn gardeners that I came across. I was no longer alone in a sea of strangers. I had friends to dine with, tour with and exchange ideas with.

Shirley

20. eliz says:

I facebook, link-in, tweet, and plurk and I like all of it pretty well. Plurk is actually fun and now that I have a mobile device it’s easier to keep up. I like doing Facebook up to a limit–no games, surveys or contests. Don’t have time for that. But I love the Facebook photo albums.