Real Gardens

Buffalo rocks GBBD

Gbbd

The thing is, we’ve gotten SO much rain over the summer, but always in short bursts interspersed with sun. There was a lot of chilly rain in late spring too, so all the plants seem about a week or two behind.

Thus, at a time when I’m usually freaking out—“It’s only August and I don’t have any flowers!”—the garden is rather lush … for me. Looming over the sunny bed are a climbing rose I left for dead a few years back and the on-stilts rudbeckia hirta “Herbstomme.” (above) I won’t talk about lilies; I did them in Wednesday’s post—but I still have plenty.

Rud

I’ve embraced rudbeckia after wavering on whether to hate them or not, and so I have a few cultivars blooming, including triloba “Prairie Sunset” (above, with “Herbstomme”) and laciniata “Golden Glow.”

Nancy

This is technically not a bloom, but a Plant Delights colocasia hybrid, Nancy’s Revenge, is finally showing its variegation. Sort of. I’m hoping for better later on, because these take a while to get going here.

Wave_2

Finally, let’s hear for the neighborhood public plantings. The wet summer has made maintenance much easier; I’ve only had to haul gallon-jugs of water up and down the street to my three six times or so. After you’ve done that a few times, you really understand why the old days sucked. You see here fine examples of the Tidal Wave brand, grown from seed in a neighborhood basement by another volunteer. Some of these silver ones self-seeded in my yard from last year; they’re really quite something. I like petunias.

Posted by on August 15, 2008 at 10:00 am, in the category Real Gardens.

10 responses to “Buffalo rocks GBBD”

1. Lucinda says:

Please tell me more about the Rudbeckia triloba ‘Prairie sunset’. that is great – haven’t seen it before. I tried googling it but didn’t find out anything.
    Your garden looks beautiful!
    About public plantings – is all the maintenance volunteer? I am starting a neighborhood container beautification project and the maintenance concerns me. It’s key to keeping it beautiful. Yes, hauling water is a drag!

2. Eliz says:

Public plantings: Take my word–find the money–contract out as much as you can. It sucks. Pure and simple.

The triloba variant can be found at Select Seeds (mail order–I get plants, not seeds). In the past, commenters have said this isn’t a triloba at all, but the habit, size, form are the same. Only the color differs. So I take Select Seed’s word on it.

3. susan harris says:

Ditto to the awfulness of having to lug water to keep public plantings alive. In the park I adopted I used only super-drought-tolerant plants.

4. eliz says:

Yeah, susan, but that won’t work with containers. You gotta water’em, even with rain, unless it’s a lot.

5. Pam/Digging says:

Your garden looks great, all right. Love those coneflowers.

6. Marte says:

Your garden looks beautiful.

7. I need to add that tall Rudbeckia “Herbstomme” to my list. That’s the problem with bloom day, well actually a good thing, too, I see all these flowers I want to grow in my own garden.

8. linda says:

Love those rudbeckias. Herbstonne blooms admirably for me with very little sun. I usually pinch it to keep it a little shorter, as it has a tendency to lean in the shade.

Nice planter! How good of you to volunteer and help care for the public plantings.

9. eliz says:

Thanks guys! Carol, I believe the Herbstommes must be widely available–I see them all over the place here.So I bet other nurseries across the US are catching the wave.

Pinching them back–that would be a great idea, Linda. I will try that.

10. TC says:

I love gardens that look like jungles. And I want Nancy’s Revenge!