It's the Plants, Darling

Am I Just An Easy Mark?

Img_1928_2
Every year, I pass this hibiscus on my neighbor’s hellstrip. And every year, I am stopped dead in my tracks by it. Zowie, that is one impressive perennial.

I have had zero luck with swamp mallows myself. The neighbor, who appears to do no other gardening besides pampering a couple of these, tells me he puts blankets over them in the winter when they’re young. I believe this is the horticultural equivalent of placing a fur coat on the shoulders of a flashy young blonde.

Posted by on August 22, 2008 at 11:35 am, in the category It's the Plants, Darling.

5 responses to “Am I Just An Easy Mark?”

1. SJ says:

I love perennial hibiscus – it’s very popular in my neighborhood.

Most folks here have it planted up against the front of brick houses. I believe this creates a little micro climate

It appears that it needs some sort of protection from the wind here in zone 5 so the blanket idea doesn’t appear too far fetched.

2. SJ says:

I love perennial hibiscus – it’s very popular in my neighborhood.

3. greg draiss says:

Fur coats on flashy young blondes always get my attention.

The (huurah for suagr daddies) TROLL

4. Gail says:

We drape in the south! If the temperature is going to dip below freezing or is going to be be too chilly for our tender perennials, we cover them with old sheets! You’ll see plants draped in the spring and fall! Truthfully, I don’t know about winter blankets!

5. commonweeder says:

Recently I visited a house I lived in nearly 40 years ago. The house looks a lot better than it did then, and so does the street. Several of the houses have done lovely things with their hell strip. It was all very inspiring. Almost made me sad that way out here in the country we don’t have hell strips to do lovely things with.