GardenRant edition. The original is archived right here.
In the News
- Found on Open Register: Proposed EPA guidelines pan water features.
- Gas prices increase appeal of alternative mowers, also via my favorite source of garden-biz news.
- McDonalds in Chicago isn’t just serving fresh lettuce – they’re growing it on their living billboard.
- Ellen Goodman interviews Roger Doiron of Kitchen Gardeners International.
On the Blogs
- In Illegal Activity: Start ’em young, Andrea Bellamy confesses to loose morals and inducting her infant daughter into the netherworld of guerrilla gardening. With photographic evidence, like the one of Lila wearing her "bad-ass black cap".
- If there’s any doubt that flame weed-killers are dangerous, this story on Ellis Hollow should dispel it. (And while you’re there, don’t miss the wonderful Ditty Bops.)
- Mr. Subjunctive takes us on a tour of flood-ravaged garden plants in Iowa, then shows us more photos of destruction in Cedar Rapids.
- There’s a wonderful first-anniversary story at Deep Middle, with wedding photo.
- And Pam Penick tours the Northeast, visits our own Michele Owens, and confirms that Washington, D.C. is going to the dogs. Despite murderous weather, she got her usual great photos.
- From Lawn Addiction to Anti-Lawn Activism, with thanks to Ted Steinberg and his wonderful American Green: The Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Lawn.
- I wrote On Moving Plants in July…because sometimes we break the rules.
- Hardy Kiwi’s great if it doesn’t eat your house covers what it’s really like to grow this thing.
- Well, it’s too late now, but June was a great time to hack back perennials to avoid the flop effect.
- Guest Post (kinda): Seven Reasons to Hire a Landscape Contractor
New on Sustainable-Gardening
- In answer to questions from several coaching clients, I wrote Removing Stumps the Safe and Easy Way.
- Container Gardening incorporates the great discussion we had here and even some Michelle Derviss designs!
- Plants and Design for Screening includes my favorites and recommendations from Scott Aker of the National Arboretum.
- Gardeners have no choice but to Deal with Mosquitoes.
- In Seating Makes the Garden
I try to convince you to use more chairs, benches and dining sets in
your garden; even a hammock if you’re into napping. And I show off all
my own outdoor furniture.
Photo: the truly unsustainable gardening feature in my next-door neighbors’ garden. But man, do the birds and I love it.Posted by Susan Harris on July 19, 2008 at 3:36 am, in the category What's Happening.