Taking Your Gardening Dollar

From the Dept. of “I Didn’t Know You Could Get That on eBay”

GavelSpotted on eBay:  Fresh flowers!  Who knew?

You can actually bid on fresh-cut flowers right there on eBay.  A few examples:

100 Ecuadorian roses for $100 (plus $20 FedEx charges)–that’s the Buy It Now price, but who knows, maybe you could bid and get them for less.

Fresh leis from Hawaii at the Buy It Now price of $10, plus $12 shipping.

Wedding flowers, in this case meaning 220 stems of orchids and calla lilies, for the Buy-It-Now price of $479, also straight from Ecuador.

So this, as always, gets me wondering what else is for sale in eBay’s gardening section.

An entire greenhouse of orchids, over 4000 plants in all, with a starting bid of $19,000.

A complete garden railroad for $2500
.  It occurs to me that we don’t talk nearly enough about garden railroads here at GardenRant.

A Frank Lloyd Wright style planter for $1350.

55 gallons of Round-Up for $1495.

Actual plants? How about a bonsai for $1350?

Or, for $1250, a little Hoodia cactus?

And finally–1000 daylily bulbs (called tiger lilies here) for $499?

Anyone?  Going, going, gone…

Posted by on July 17, 2008 at 5:43 am, in the category Taking Your Gardening Dollar.

12 responses to “From the Dept. of “I Didn’t Know You Could Get That on eBay””

1. Garden hard lines are on ebay stores but plants?

Not a good thing in my mind. No quality control and if anyone has ever got flowers some of those online services…………no good

2. Nancy Bond says:

I’m not surprised — I don’t think there’s much you CAN’T get on eBay. :) I’m not sure I’d order them, however, but who knows?

3. lawremc says:

Also potential for bringing in insects and diseases. Alabama has a citrus quarantine rule—to hopefully keep out citrus canker.

A Master Gardener (who really should have known better) bought citrus off Ebay from someplace on the quarantine list. Did so several times over a few years.

Imagine her surprise when the USDA-APHIS inspector showed up all the way from Mississippi to have a talk with her and to remove all the plants and a large chunk of soil.

4. Reading Dirt says:

For a while eBay forbade the sale of live plants and seeds because of all the regulations on what plants can ship where, the possibility of disease, etc. What ever happened to that? Currently their regulations on plants has been reduced to “weeds and seeds,” with this listed in the policy section:

“eBay does not permit the listing of noxious weeds and prohibited seeds on the site. Please see the Additional Information section for a link to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s federally defined noxious weeds. Buyers and sellers of packaged seeds should consult with state and local authorities to determine whether the items they are considering buying or selling are legal for distribution in their states.”

Of course, eBay can’t police its entire site and depends on users to let them know when there have been violations. I’ve reported people selling home made copies of audiobooks, imitation stone figurines sold as real “turquoise,” and lots of other violations.

The biggest problem, though, is that most users don’t read the regulations before posting things for sale.

5. Shibaguyz says:

WOW! And all this time we thought you could only by organs (kidneys, hearts, etc), souls and political votes on eBay. What have we been missing out on?!?!

Seriously though… contraband gardening supplies on eBay… somewhere there has to be a federal inspector just WAITING to track down the member name of that buyer. Good grief…

6. suzq says:

You can bid on queen bees too.

7. Rosella says:

Blithely and stupidly, I bought a white ginger rhizome, and also a lovely peach brugmannsia, on EBay. Both have done very well and I am pleased. I suppose my purchases fall under the “Providence protects fools and drunks” clause of Murphy’s Law.

8. Carolyn says:

Did you state that tiger lilies and day lilies are the same or that what the seller is calling day lilies are actually tiger lilies?

9. Layanee says:

Trains? I just don’t get trains in the garden. It just goes round and round and unless you are riding on it…why?

10. Rick says:

Fifty cents a bulb for tiger lilies seems like a good deal. One of those too good to be true kind of a deal…

11. dlyn says:

I wonder if I need a train for my garden?
    I buy day-[not tiger!]-lilies on eBay all the time. I am careful about the sellers and I have never once had a single problem.

12. Kitt says:

The boyfriend buys seeds and bamboo on eBay and has been very happy with what he’s received. Good for hard-to-find stuff, cheap.