Designs, Tricks, and Schemes

An artsy urban farm

Publicfarm1

P.S. 1 in Long Island City is an outgrowth of Manhattan’s Museum of Modern Art. There’s generally something cool going on there, though I have not visited in a while. This summer I’m intrigued by one of their latest projects, Public Farm 1, which has veggies growing in cardboard tubes (the farm part) as well as a farmer’s market, 080622185wading pool, music series, avant garde playground, and more, all in the art center’s courtyard.

Designed by architects WORK Architecture, the project is described as a combination of a flying carpet and a farmer’s market, which (I guess) refers to the way the structure provides a cantilevered green overlay to the industrial concrete that dominates here. 080622003It is an interesting take on the whole urban farm concept, one that emphasizes its industrial surroundings. This is temporary and will be disassembled and recycled at some point.

Posted by on July 23, 2008 at 4:35 am, in the category Designs, Tricks, and Schemes.

8 responses to “An artsy urban farm”

1. lawremc says:

Very cool! The cardboard tubes look like the forms used for concrete. What a great idea! I’ve used glazed chimney tiles to create vertical planters for years, but the possibilities with these are endless. Easy to paint—easy to move– turn them on their sides and drill more holes for a funky long planter. I see a visit to a big box home improvement store in the future. I priced them 12 inch diameter and 4 ft long is about $25.

2. Eric says:

Pretty cool idea and a nice green touch to the concrete jungle. I like the idea of the clay tubes better than cardboard as it is more practical. But it is still a cool idea for an art piece. Are cardboard tubes OMRI approved? I kid.

3. Nancy Bond says:

That’s a very cool garden project. I like the idea of using the sauna tubes as well…and not too pricey! You could make some visually pleasing stacks with them, too.

4. Well f .. finally.
    A temporary art exhibit with a modicum of creativity that uses edible plants.

This beats Fritz Haegs unimaginative, dead fart, edible ‘performance art’ gardens by a long shot.

There’s no thinly veiled illusion or masquerade that this installation is a tangible/ appropriately planted front yard vegetable garden.

It’s obvious art. Art that provokes thought.

5. Lisa Albert says:

Ditto the common reaction: Cool!!

6. Shibaguyz says:

We LOVE the idea of the cardboard tubes used as planters. What a great recycling for those big ol monstrosities! Now we’re thinking about the possibilities for next spring… hhhmmmm…

7. Barbara says:

Hoping its pre-planned as to which community gardens or parks will get the plants when they dismantle!

8. I don’t think any of the materials in PF1 are recycled…just reused and will compost at the end of the season. IMHO, PF1 is a provocative large-scale utopia, and Haeg’s Edible Estates is a much more populist project. More veg for thought: check out Green Zone–an edible garden, planted in the detritus of wartime consumption (used tires, shopping bags, discarded shoes). Dig the rant!