Taking Your Gardening Dollar

The Rodenator

Status of straw bale vegetable garden:  riddled with gopher holes.  Seven years in this garden and I’ve never seen a gopher.  And now they show up.

I could have laid down a piece of chicken wire under the straw bales, but no.  That would have involved thinking ahead, not to mention anticipating the actions of small burrowing mammals heretofore unseen in my garden.

Now they have invaded every crevice between the bales, pulling out plants and generally making a mess.  The hole in the center of the bales that I filled with compost and straw so I could plant potatoes?  Destroyed.  Devoured.

There are any number of options for dealing with gophers, but none as exciting and satisfying as The Rodenator, an underground assault weapon that injects a mixture of propane and oxygen belowground, at which point "a built-in, self contained ignition system then ignites the mixture,
creating an underground shockwave or concussion that instantly
eliminates the rodent and collapses the tunnel system."

But don’t take my word for it!  Check out the videos:

RodenatorWatch today’s top amazing videos here

Posted by on June 26, 2008 at 5:57 am, in the category Taking Your Gardening Dollar.

16 Responses to “The Rodenator”

1. greg draiss says:

This is what happens when rank amateurs in any field think they have a great idea and become wannabe journalists or “TV” hosts.

1)The first issue here is the cost of straw. $14 at a garden store 7-8 at a farm. You could buy a lot of soil for that price.

2)Next what happens when the starw gets wet and starts to rot.

3)Has this guy ever heard of carbon to nitrogen ratio? One would have to dump a lot of urea or other quick release nitorgen into the bale to alleviate the straws robbing N to begin the composting process.

It simply makes no sense. Just like the other “expert” on youtube who says add baby diapers to the bottom of containers so the polymers will water the container for you!

Want to see a cool veggie picture?

I just posted a really cool pic from my garden. Oriole Swiss Chard is the subject.

THE(wannabe a photog)TROLL

2. Cindy says:

This looks way to fun to be legal.

3. greg draiss says:

There is also a device you attach to yhe tailpipe on your car and blow exhaust into a rodents or other offending animals hole

The(?)TROLL

4. dlyn says:

Holy Crap! This would satisfy my soul right down to my little toes. The moles in my yard better hope I never have enough extra dough to get one of those babies!

5. Pamela says:

please say it’s a joke.

6. suzq says:

We don’t have a vegetable garden in our shady yard. We do have vole/gopher/varmint holes and tunnels throughout the area where the the “green stuff we mow” grows.

We got some of those vibrator thingies that are powered by solar panels. They seem to keep the population down–perhaps literally down. Maybe they dig their holes deeper. We also have a dog running around in the yard, several neighborhood outdoor cats like to “help” as well.

For big tunnels and holes, we use the “hose and mash” method: fill up the tunnel with water and mash it down with your feet. It’s good aerobic exersize, it’s a nice way to water the landscape (trees, especially) and it temporarily solves the problem.

We’ll never get rid of them. I’ve learned to live with them. As long as they reside in the lawn, they’re not eating my secret stand of hostas that the deer have not discovered yet, either.

7. Eilish says:

It sort of feels wrong how much I want one of these.

8. Julia says:

Had much grief with voles and moles until 2 years ago. Applied horti-grade castor oil, which you attach to your hose and spray over the area. worked like a charm, no more roots eaten away!

9. Looks like tons of fun out in the country but I bet one could get into deep doo doo blowing the bejezus out of the ground in a residential area.
    I’d be afraid I’d blow up and ignite an underground utility line and raze the entire neighborhood.
    Then the darn gophers would just move back into our fallen caddy shacks.

10. eliz says:

Yeah, I would be afraid to do this in the city. But it does look really fun. Tony Avent has been talking a lot about this too.

I don’t know how gardeners who have deer, rabbits, moles, skunks, voles, raccoons, and gophers can stand it. I’d go nuts.

11. rainymountain says:

A somewhat crazy employer who had woodchucks in her garden used to stand at her kitchen window and blast away at them with her rifle – also not recommended in residential areas. How about using ferrets?

12. Michele Owens says:

And you’ve always seemed like a gentle soul, Amy! What’s next for you? A sudden taste for gopher stew?

13. Carolyn says:

I don’t know if we have pros like him here, but I once saw a program about a man in Great Britain who was a professional mole digger. People paid him big money to run around their fields and gardens, swearing English curses at the “little buggers” and “dirty bastards” while he swiftly dug and then dispatched them with either a sharp thrust or whap of his spade. Now that the British have the Rodenator, how will this man feed his family? How does a mole digger stay relevant? Gotta go now and beat the stampede to the hardware store. Bye!

14. I tried everything to deal with gophers: poison, castor oil, smoke bombs, traps, neighbor boy with BB gun. The traps and the neighbor boy helped a bit. This year, they are gone. Not sure if it’s just luck or the fact that another neighbor lets her cat run loose. But if they come back…

15. Rosella says:

Ummmm … this is a question from an immigrant gardener. Are gophers the same as chipmunks? If so, then I must say that I love the chipmunks in my garden and will not do anything to hurt them. Unless, that is, they don’t stop stealing my fraises des bois.

16. Topiary Joe says:

Wow! what a great rant place! thanks for taking the high road on gardening. found your site looking for pictures of the 24 compact flourescent light bulb sculptures that are on display in Chicago. The last project I am still reeling from is seven deer to join my herd of elephants on two survival tours in the UK, installed last week in St James Park in London…see topiaryjoe.com for some pics. thanks for the great info source for my perennial native wildflower gardens, about an acre
    So Far!