It's the Plants, Darling

Superstar

Img_1558

I love the unusual perennial in the center of the photo, which my Graham Rice Encyclopedia of Perennials informs me is telekia or yellow oxeye.  It is tough as nails, with those large leaves standing up surprisingly well to my super-sandy soil and even the most wilting summer heat.  The leaves also have a great yellowy color.  I’ve only seen it once in a nursery, at Clearbrook Farm in Shaftsbury, VT, when I bought it.  I need a few more for my sunny, sandy spots where nothing wants to grow.  But, unable to buy it, I’ve been dividing it.  It’s pretty tolerant of that, too.

Posted by on June 20, 2008 at 10:00 am, in the category It's the Plants, Darling.

6 responses to “Superstar”

1. greg draiss says:

kudos on yellow oxeye. we have had it a few times at our garden center and it is a tough plant indeed

2. Given my penchant for ‘great plants that look good dead’, I really like telekia. Last year’s seed heads are still standing strong even though this year’s growth is catching up with them.

3. luise h. says:

I have had my Telekia for four years,in full Sun,in the Butterfly Garden.Everyone coming into the Garden ask’s about it.On your picture it’s planted next to Goatsbeard,my Goatsbeard is in morning Sun,i was surprised to see the two together.Learn something new every Day.

4. Michele Owens says:

Luise, that’s a strange corner for me–the point where the shadow cast by the north side of my house and the fence meets blazing sun. So the goatsbeard gets enough shade to do well, and so does the telekia and the dahlia next to it.

5. saatuk says:

Telekia seed is available from Gardens North http://www.gardensnorth.com (near Ottawa, Ontario). They ship to the US of A. 30 sds for $4 CDN. That’s where I got mine. The plant is amazing – just keeps going on with no attention at all.

6. Eric S. says:

Who can tell me about the plant on the right side of that photo with the delicate white blooms. Name? Does it require full sun?
    Thanks