It's the Plants, Darling, Real Gardens

Greetings from Memphis

Mag1

This gorgeous magnolia (yes?) tree is right across Beale Street from the BB King restaurant/club. I don’t think we have them like these up north, and certainly not in bloom this late. Ours are kind of puny.

Beautifully fragrant too.

P.S. These images are probably the only ones I have that do not involve bbq, blues, Elvis, or ducks.

Mag2

Posted by on June 1, 2008 at 1:56 pm, in the category It's the Plants, Darling, Real Gardens.

11 responses to “Greetings from Memphis”

1. melissa says:

You’re in town for the hottest, most humid weekend so far this year! Our magnolias are different from spring magnolias- the magnolia grandiflora is one of the toughest plants we have- enjoy some good ‘que!

2. eliz says:

Well in terms of heat and humidity it’s all uphill from here, right? I don’t mind it. I love the South, and I’m loving Memphis.

3. eric says:

Southern Magnolias are one of the most wonderfully fragrant plants, and it’s a tree no less, a rather large one. If you are allowed to clip a flower, they make great home and car scents.

4. Memphis is so much fun. I think the legal drinking in the street was my favorite part coming from a state with strict blue-laws and an open container ban. But the street-cars were pretty awesome too. And you can’t beat the live music! We didn’t even make it to Graceland, if only we could afford to travel right now.

5. Heather says:

Magnolia Grandiflora blooms in summer, and pretty much all summer long too

6. MaryContrary says:

I noticed just yesterday that some of the m. grandiflora here in southern Maryland have started to bloom. The m. virginiana are in full bloom already.

FWIW, while the grandiflora smells great, IMO virginia is the best of all of the magnolias in the aroma department.

7. lawremc says:

Magnolia grandifolia—Southerners either love them or hate them. It seems the hate may stem from whether as a child they had to rake leaves from under a limbed up specimen like the one you pictured. I hate the limbed up ones because there is no place to hide the leaves which defy decomposition. I have two that have branches to the ground.

Also—they did amazingly well throughout the coastal South during Hurricanes Ivan and Katrina unlike red maples that went down in huge numbers.

8. Michele Owens says:

I’m hoping that you’ll post some duck pictures.

9. What took you to Memphis this week?

Three of us are driving to Memphis this Friday for the Hydrangea Society annual tour.

10. eliz says:

The City and Regional Magazine Conference, held in a different cool city every year.

11. JACK KOUGH says:

I actually have an enormous Magnolia grandiflora growing in my backyard in NYC. Yes folks New York City. It’s about as tall as our 4 story brownstone and was a major selling point on picking the place. It’s just started blooming on the upper branches and it appears as though the flowers are as big as my head.