Eat This

Young Gardening Revolutionaries Premiere Their Movie

Women_cyclers Three young urban gardeners in Washington, D.C. got the very cool idea to tour urban gardens throughout the Northeast by bicycle, interview and film people along the way, and come back and make a movie of it to promote urban farming.   Then last summer they DID it, and the movie premiered this week at a theater in Georgetown.  Here they are – Liz, Kat and Lara, described as "revolutionaries" by Ed Bruske in his remarks to the assembled movie-goers.

Can you tell they’re in their 20s?  The very demographic of the New Gardener we keep hearing about.  But this is interesting – in the movie they mentioned that the gardeners they met were children, young adults in their 20s and 30s, and lots of immigrants.  I wonder if the immigrants have been gardening all along, and it’s just the recent college grads that are actually new to farming.

Here’s their website, and here’s Ed eloquent report on our blog.

Posted by on May 17, 2008 at 9:32 am, in the category Eat This.

7 responses to “Young Gardening Revolutionaries Premiere Their Movie”

1. N. & J. says:

That’s pretty cool to hear about. I have heard from other online sources about the surge in young people going into farming instead of the “rat race” and I applaud it. I just hope it doesn’t become a fad that rises and then quickly fades into oblivion.

2. Anna says:

I keep hearing about this trend toward young gardeners?? For the last 20 years or more, I’ve been working at garden centers all over the US or shopping at them and I’m not seeing it. I’m still seeing the 40 to 70 age group 80% of the time. I’ve worked both private and big box. Most of this group is the 40 to 60 women of all types. I rarely see a young woman buy a plant.

My husband is retired AF and I’ve lived from Coast to Coast so you can’t say it’s just a Southeast thing where I’m living and working right now. I just think it’s something trendy to write about at the moment. It’s selling magazines and going with the flow of being earth friendly that is so popular. But I don’t think it will stick cause these people weren’t raised this way. So my feeling is that more is being written about it than is actually happening.

3. Risuena says:

I can’t say how widespread the young gardener trend is, but among my friends it’s definitely there – a bunch of us have all started gardening in the past couple years and we’re mostly under 30. And it’s pretty spontaneous, because I don’t remember ever talking about gardening with any of them, but all of the sudden whenever we get together, someone comments that they’ve started a garden and then everyone else is ‘fessing up too. I think that’s pretty cool. I’m sure some of us won’t last more than a few years, but I bet some of us do wind up becoming life long gardeners.

And I have to admit, I’m amazed that I’m enjoying gardening as much as I am. This is my second year doing anything, and I’m already starting to get ideas about what I want to do next year. This whole gardening thing’s pretty addictive actually…

4. Kim says:

They have a good cause, a bit naive but it’s better than the 60’s and 70’s kid’s idea of grow it means pot.

5. Kaye Williams says:

I think that the “trend” isn’t so much for gardens as we think of them. My own kids are in their 20s and are growing their own since they are vegetarians and also concerned about what’s in the fresh produce available on the market. This way they can grow their own and KNOW how pesticide free their food is, plus they are enjoying growing things that aren’t typically available to them anywhere else. And it’s fresh from their very own plot of land. They don’t shop garden centers, they don’t want the flowers and such, they grow from seed and use the internet for their shopping. They have the money to shop and buy whatever & wherever they want, but choose to shop online for the convenience. Perhaps that’s why we don’t see them at the local garden centers alongside us, although just walking the aisles of a garden center in the spring is pure heaven for me and I need the sights and smells to get me motivated for spring planting, they are a different generation.
    Just as long as they are gardening and enjoying it in their own style , what more could a lifelong gardening mom ask for?

6. There are definitely a lot of young folks gardening here. However, you don’t generally see them at plant societies, garden clubs, garden centers, and the like. Many of the young people who are gardening here are permaculturalists and they have their own economy. They patronize small nurseries owned by other permaculturalists or they buy from specialty catalogs over the internet. However, as much as possible, they’re getting plants for free or swapping.

I don’t think it’s a fad. I think a lot of the people who are starting to garden now will do it for their entire life. However, whether succeeding generations do is up in the air. However, I think that the effect peak oil will have on our food distribution networks is likely to draw more folks to growing their own food.

7. Eric says:

I think Spidra hit the nail on the head. This new trend in younger gardeners is heralding a paradigm shift that will keep them out of “traditional” forums like botanical societies and whatsuch. I am a young gardener and can corroborate that us youngsters are not at the big boxes, or the large nurseries, or society meetings. We are online getting our information from forums, we are reading, we are ordering seeds and finding compostables. We are also in large cities working tiny lots and loving every minute of it. The notion of permaculture becoming more widespread is very true and you can see this old idea parading around every now and again with a new hat. It’s even had its day on TED.com. Many of my friends keep vegetable gardens but you wont see them shopping the annuals at home depot.