Eat This

The Once And Future Project

Img_1282_2

The year will come when I won’t spend all of April arduously redoing the fence in my vegetable garden in order to keep those crucifer-thieving rabbits and groundhogs out. I like to think that year will come because I will have found the Ultimate Answer. But maybe it will arrive because I’ll just be too old and worn out to care any more.

Posted by on April 18, 2008 at 10:01 am, in the category Eat This.

6 responses to “The Once And Future Project”

1. El says:

I’m surprised the little varmints can squeeze through that pretty fence of yours. Did you have to bury that new netting?

2. Michele Owens says:

Oh, no, now you’ve done it, El! You’ve asked about my fencing and must therefore listen to my woes.

Actually, last year, I bent rabbit wire around the outside of my garden on the advice of a friend, nailing it to the cedar fence and stapling it into the grass.

It worked, until the very end of the summer, when some small rabbits squeezed in through the larger holes at the top of the wire and ATE MY OKRA. Still, can’t complain too much–I had a really great year produce-wise. But there was a bigger problem with fencing on the outside–it was impossible to weedwhack around the garden.

This year, I’m using cage wire, which has smaller holes than rabbit fencing, on the inside–bending it horizontally six inches, stuffing it into a trench about six inches deep and hoping for the best. On the outside, I plan on cutting off last year’s fence at ground level and leaving the horizontal stuff buried in the grass just to discouraging tunnelling.

Frankly, I cannot wait to hang up my wire cutters and hammer. Fencing is hard work and boring.
    Probably nearly as boring as listening to me go on about it.

3. El says:

Okra! Them’s fighting words…in a zone 4 garden especially.

From someone who fences her gardens only to keep her chickens out, I still know well your woes with wire cutters. I buried hardware cloth around the perimeter of the greenhouse (on the inside) to keep voles from digging under and coming in. They still did, so I resorted to micetraps baited with sunflower seeds (gets ’em every time), but now my daughter is too scared of them to go into the greenhouse. Considering what a pest SHE is with broccoli, I suppose that’s a good thing.

Well, I hope your fence works.

4. shannon says:

I use chicken wire. It’s easy to work with, easy to cut, easy to bend around things, cheap, and if you bury it about six inches in the ground, pretty effective at keeping everything out. Even little rabbits can’t get through.

I use the three foot high chicken wire and I just step over it to get in my garden.

I also use it to make compost piles.

It’s not tall enough to keep deer out obviously–the five foot kind would though probably. For deer I use Irish Spring soap in panty hose socks hung around the garden.

5. Barbara says:

Woodchucks, rabbits, and deer welcome here! Just went around the corner of the house and opened the gate to water (we picked parsley and chives through the mild winter; Zone 6, 50 miles north of NYC) and gave a nice spray light spray to also the 5″ tall garlic and to all the 3″ snow pea plants! “What a cutie you are,” I called out to that lumbering brown woodchuck on the hill! Yes, must fess up; I started as a thrilled customer (took one week to build) and now sell carefree gardens – teichgardensystems.com We had woodchucks eating all our started-from-seed crops – NEVER again…so worth it.

6. Val says:

Plantskyyd is safe around vegetables.it’s certified organic. even if you could spray the perimeter, it would probably work. it stimulates a fear-based response. it’s kind of new but on their site it will tell you where in your state you can buy it. pricey but I’m going to buy it. the rabbits trim my baby Jap. maples to a few sticks every winter.