What's Happening

Rant on the Road: live from Austin 4/4-4/5

Austintexas1a

As Susan posted a while back, she and I have plans to attend this weekend’s Garden Bloggers’ Spring Fling in Austin, generously organized by Pam/Digging, MSS/Zanthan Gardens, and other Austin garden bloggers.

Thanks I suppose to my snobby determination to stay in a B&B or inn rather than a chain, our accommodation plans have had their ups and downs, one place fell through, and now we’re winding up in a chain-ish place farther away than we should be from most of the events. (The hapless Susan fell victim to my caprices, I’m sorry to say.) But at least we have a place and it has wi-fi. So we hope to blog at the end of each day—Friday and Saturday, with a few photos, and then maybe we’ll have some posts when we return to our respective homes. Stay tuned!

I must say Austin looks particularly inviting now. Supposed to be 79 on Saturday and the bluebells are out. We’ll be reporting on our visit to the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center and some fabulous private gardens in Austin, as well as—well, who knows? We’ll try not to get into too much trouble.

Posted by on April 2, 2008 at 12:00 pm, in the category What's Happening.

11 responses to “Rant on the Road: live from Austin 4/4-4/5”

1. susan harris says:

Oh, the caprices of Elizabeth Licata – wish me luck, everybody!@

2. eliz says:

See, Susan, the correct answer there was “oh no, Eliz is not capricious!!”

3. Layanee says:

I am still laughing at the B & B issue. Remind me to tell you a B & B story! There are no king size beds in B & B’s. Can’t wait for ‘Tales on the Road’ via Susan and Eliz!

4. Since I couldn’t get to Austin (my favorite Texas town) this weekend, I’m so glad you’ll be blogging throughout your stay. Thanks for allowing us to share you adventure (accomodation mishaps and all)

5. susan harris says:

About our B&B mishap and to set the record straight about Eliz, it’s only because she called a couple of days ago to reconfirm (something I wouldn’t have done) that she learned of their plumbing problems. Otherwise we’d have arrived in Austin with no place to stay, thanks to the ineptness of this particular establishment that has no business calling themselves a business in the first place.

6. Michele Owens says:

I hope you ladies will represent the Rant with decorum and honor–and only get into small amounts of trouble.

7. Pam/Digging says:

Yeah, we’ll remember to put that first guest house on our do-not-call list. But I’m glad you found rooms in this booked-up city, Elizabeth, and we look forward to seeing what trouble you gals can rustle up while you’re here. See you Friday!

8. Bonnie says:

We would have never let you be homeless upon arrival! Although staying as a guest at my house with two small kids might have made you wish for the place with no plumbing! Looking forward to having you here.

9. Pam/Digging says:

One little correction, Elizabeth. They’re bluebonnets, not bluebells. And they’re popping up all over, right on schedule.

10. jodi says:

Have fun, travel safely, and tell us poor northerners all about it! We’ll be with you in spirit.

11. I’m at LAX on my way east and will see Michele next week. A split GR reunion, I suppose. I’m so jealous that y’all are in my former hometown without me. Pls blog early and often, take lots of pictures, and drink a Shiner Bock for me.