Showing you this photo feels oddly like unveiling a drastic new haircut, or taking off my robe at the beach. It must be all that bare ground showing, something we beauty-seekers of the gardening world avoid like slug tracks! It’s not even mulched, for crissakes!
But moving on to the task at hand, I have some questions that need answering – because I don’t know what I’m doing. (Veggie-growing virgin here.)
WHAT I PLANTED
Here’s what I planted on about March 10 (see, I’m already a bad gardener for not being able to find where I wrote the date): Sparkler radishes, Mesclun Spicy Salad Mix, Simpson Elite Lettuce, Olympia Spinach, Tyee Spinach, Detroit Dark Red Beets, Chinese Mustard, and some Plant-a Row-for-the-Hungry brand carrots.
And yet to be planted are: Purple Top White Globe Turnips, Early Purple Vienna Kohlrabi. And/or anything I find at the market.
1. I assume they need thinning, but can the little plants I remove be moved to the empty spots?
2. When should I mulch? And preferably using the leafmold I have too much of.
3. I’ve been watering every other day when it’s not raining. Sound about right?
4. I aIso bought packages of Canary Creeper Nasturtium and a mix of sweet peas. Is there any way to use them here?
5. And most importantly, can anyone answer the question in the lower right of my diagram? Plant ID, please – carrot or radish?Posted by Susan Harris on April 19, 2008 at 3:39 am, in the category Eat This.