Does that title grab you? It did me, so I checked out the "Gardener’s Pledge Program" on the National Wildlife Federation site. Here’s the introductory info about it, and I welcome your reactions.
"Pledge to choose at least three actions to help fight global
"I pledge to take the following actions:
- Compost my kitchen and garden waste.
- Contact your local officials.
- Develop a rain garden.
- Establish a "green roof" by planting trees around my house.
- Reduce the threat of invasive species by using native plants in my landscape.
- Improve your energy efficiency.
- Limit my water consumption.
- Reduce the use of gasoline-powered yard tools."
Just to get the ball rolling, here’s a question: Do all these actions really "fight global warming"?
And just one reaction: Does that language about taking a "pledge" seem a tad judgmental to you? To put this in context, remember these are the folks who brought us the "Gardener’s Guide to Global Warming" that I and others been known to rant about.Posted by Susan Harris on March 18, 2008 at 1:38 pm, in the category Ministry of Controversy.