It's the Plants, Darling

For Gardenblogger Bloom Day:
Daffodil Photos Online

by SusanDaffodils1
Like every homeowner in all of Zone 7, I have daffodils blooming.  But none are interesting enough, nor are my photographic skills advanced enough, to show them off.  So why not let someone else’s daffodil photos do the job, heh?  And while we’re at it, let’s consider the getting of free or almost-free photos online, starting with FLICKR.COM.

The mass daffodil shot above by Good Molecules appears on Flickr with these instructions: "All rights reserved" and "This photo is public."  Does that mean we can use it with a link to the photographer?

Daffodils3

This next one, by  Andrew Stawarz " is available with "Some rights reserved," and there’s mention of the Creative Commons License.  Again, not sure what to do with that info.

The very best photos on Flickr, the ones that were clearly done by professionals, are not available at all, and it doesn’t take a law degree to interpret this: "No usage allowed in any form without written consent of" the photographer.

Now let’s see what’s available for a small fee.  On FOTOLIA.COM this 400-pixel shot costs a buck.  I just want to walk right into this scene, then keep on walking through those mountains in the distance.

Fotolia WHERE ELSE?
Anybody know of other sources of free or almost-free photos?

Posted by on March 15, 2008 at 3:39 am, in the category It's the Plants, Darling.

10 Responses to “For Gardenblogger Bloom Day:
Daffodil Photos Online”

1. That last picture almost looks like a painting. Very appealing. I guess with photos, it is like so many other things, you get what you pay for.

2. It’s best to ask people on Flickr just to be on the safe (and polite) side. Pretty easy to send them a message and ask their permission. After all, a lot of pictures get stolen when they aren’t supposed to be, a lot of people get up in arms, and it is pretty ugly.

3. Lisa Albert says:

That top photo is amazing! I love how the sky is curved like the earth.

I walked right along with you into that bottom photo (nice to meet you!). I swear I could taste the air – so spring sweet! My cheeks are rosy and my heart is lighter. Lovely mental break, thanks!

4. Jean says:

Just get down there on your knees and click away toward your flowers. Personal photos of one’s own gardens are always preferable when we visit.

We can always google Keukenhof, but we can’t ‘see’ your daffodils unless you share them. They’re probably much more interesting than you realize.

5. Pam/Digging says:

I believe it was Stuart who turned me onto morgueFile as a source of free photos. I’ve used photos from that site several times, with acknowledgment, of course, as always.

6. john says:

The internet is packed with free photos, but if you’re looking for low-cost photos with rights of usage may I humbly suggest istockphoto.com and dreamstime.com? Of the two, istockphoto is slightly pricier but the quality of work is very good, and you can get a medium sized image along with basic rights of usage for $3-5. They also have illustrations and video clips. Dreamstime is even less expensive but the quality is a tick or two below istockphoto.

Disclaimer: I contribute images to both sites, which on the surface makes this post vulgar self-promotion rather than a helpful tip, but I also use the sites as a consumer and have nearly always found what I needed without breaking the budget.

7. susan harris says:

Thanks, Pam!
    And John, disclaimers are always appreciated but in this case your suggestions are most welcome, so thanks.
    A little money seems to go a long way nowadays toward acquiring great internet-sized photos. I know that’s not great news for photographers, but for customers it’s a boon.

8. john says:

Thank you Susan, and I don’t know if I ever mentioned it but it was a treat to meet you, Amy and Michele when you were in Buffalo.

9. Shirl says:

Hi there, Susan :-)

Very interesting post! I have only tried wikipedia and usually added some text at the bottom of my post. I never considered paying for shots I was looking for – no reason for not doing so just never thought of it. If I have seen a photo on another blog (usually photographers) I have asked for their permission to use it but I don’t ask often :-D

As for the daffodil shots above – wow, now you have me thinking about firing up Photoshop and having a go at that myself. That’s of course when I have a few hours to spare :-D

10. Incredible daffodil photos are available at the website of the American Daffodil Society, http://daffodilusa.org/. Click on “Divisions and Cultivars”.

They have an online database called Daffseek with photos at
    http://www.daffseek.org/ but it is useful only if you know the name of the variety.