Taking Your Gardening Dollar

Blogging Tips for Wal-Mart

1. Getting Rid of Miracle-Gro and Round-Up:  Toss it or Put it on the Clearance Table?
  2. Oooops!  We left plants & garden products out of our Sustainability Report!
  3. A Plant Geek’s Paradise:  Interesting, Unusual, Regionally Appropriate Plants at Everyday Low Prices
  4. Cool Project of the Week: Converting Nearly 400 Abandonded Wal-Marts to Urban Gardens
  5. Plastic Lawn Furniture Sucks! So do cheap tools that break!
  6. Speaking of Plastic: How We’re Leading the Nursery Industry Toward Biodegradable Pots
  7. Behind the Scenes in Bentonville: Our Corporate Compost Pile

Posted by on March 3, 2008 at 5:27 am, in the category Taking Your Gardening Dollar.

18 responses to “Blogging Tips for Wal-Mart”

1. layaneel says:

Okay, how about a ‘Made in America’ section at Wal Mart! Probably not gonna happen but worth a try!

2. Michele Owens says:

“Why dirt-lovers don’t have to feel dirty shopping here any more.”

Wal-Mart could stop mistreating its employees in every conceivable way–spying on them! locking them in at night! forcing them to work off the clock! discriminating against women! forcing out long-term employees in favor of cheaper new ones! failing to provide affordable health care until a minute ago! And then I wouldn’t feel disgusting every time I stopped in for a cheap bag of bark nuggets.

3. bmk says:

How about:

“Employee Sustainabilty or How We Started Paying a Living Wage and Providing Health Insurance Rather Than Making Everyone Else Pick Up Our Slack”

or

“But Those 6 Spindly Trees Make a Difference!: How Planting 6 Saplings in a Parking Lot The Size of Toledo Makes The World A Greener Place.”

4. Michele Owens says:

“How we stay so cheap and cheerful”

We put the thumb-screws on our suppliers so they send every possible manufacturing job to low-wage countries, so the poor people who shop here can’t afford to shop anywhere else.

5. eliz says:

is it OK if I ignore Walmart and their blog? I hate the place and never set foot. And see no need to.

6. Michele Owens says:

Wait– I’m not finished yet!

“Why gardening is life-affirming everywhere but here.”

7. Michele Owens says:

“Why our parking lot only contains shrubs so ugly that even plant-addicts consider quitting”

8. Lisa Albert says:

Oh, no, I’m going to post one of those dreaded “me, too” posts. I echo Susan – What Eliz said. My gardening dollars go to independent nurseries not to big box stores as a rule but I have additional incentive. I detest Walmart’s business practices and politics.

The suggested blog ideas are great! Pity they are highly unlikely to show up on Walmart’s blog.

9. Michele Owens says:

“What the hell are we doing wrong?”

Why even super-cheap prices can’t attract Lisa, Elizabeth, and Susan.

10. Marte says:

I also refuse to set foot in Walmart, but I have gotten some very nice plants indeed at Costco.

11. Too funny. I loathe the place. It’s one of the saddest places in the US, with all those obese people slapping around their kids.

Okay, here are some blog topics:

“How I Learned Style Doesn’t Have to be Expensive: My Visit to Target”

or

“Did you Know Leaves Grow on Trees? Just Not Here at Wal-Mart”

Robin at Bumblebee

12. jodi says:

These are priceless. I thought it was just us uppity Canadians who despised Wal-Mart (and only us who had obese welfare bums slapping their kids around IN the stores).

13. Les says:

With about 7000 stores world-wide and growing, soon no one will be far from these portals to hell.

14. Reading Dirt says:

Do they still have Wal-Marts? I don’t know — I haven’t set foot in a Volde-Mart in… gosh, I’m not sure how long it’s been.

15. bmk says:

Me, three (?) for Eliz’s comment. And one more….

“When ‘No! No!’ means, ‘Yes! Yes!’ or Fourteen New Ways to Force Your Way Into a Town That Doesn’t Want You” (subtitled: “Lengthy Litigation Can Be Your Friend”).

16. Eric says:

I only went into a walmart once, mnay years ago, and I disliked the place and I disklike their employment and product sourcing practices, and the fact that they cause the death of traditional, local stores I can walk to. And most of what they sell is junky anyway – it’s unrealistic (some would say absurd) to think they would ever embrace sustainable gardening! Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw a while back on a car that said “Mall-Wart – Your Source for Cheap Plastic Cr*p”. I think that says it all.

17. Let’s see. A blog topic for Wal-Mart that would help them work on their image.

A section of the store called Made In America is a good start. Maybe a section of the store called Not From China.

The garden department could write in the blog too – everything they know about plants and how to care for the stock sold in each of the regional stores. It shouldn’t take up too much space.