Unusually Clever People

Once More From the UK

Gardennap
Rounding out Across the Pond Day on GardenRant:  a recent news story describes a Citigroup banker’s fight over his "gardening leave."  What, you say?  Leave from your job to garden?  Time to start trolling the London Craigslist for jobs!

In fact, "garden leave" or "gardening leave" is a term used in the UK to describe a situation in which an employee is given notice that they will be fired (or placed on disciplinary leave), but are told to go home and simply collect their pay for the rest of the notice period.  The idea is to keep potentially disgruntled employees out of the office, and also to keep them from going to work immediately for a competitor.

If you told an American worker that they were being sent home on gardening leave, they would look at you with utter confusion and astonishment.  What would we call it here?  TV leave?  Xbox leave?  Mall leave?

Posted by on December 3, 2007 at 11:04 am, in the category Unusually Clever People.

8 responses to “Once More From the UK”

1. Ed Bruske says:

The way they’ve screwed things up at Citigroup, it wouldn’t be a surprise if quite a few employees had gardening in their future. Does that mean there’s a link between planting bulbs and sub-prime mortgages?

2. My God, I wish somebody would send me home on gardening leave!

3. Lisa says:

I’m wondering if regularly scheduled gardening leave (in the literal, not the figurative British sense) could have kept me happy enough to have not just up and quit in the space of 30 minutes this August. It’s been lovely just puttering and planting ever since.

4. Hm, “internet leave”? I agree with Michele Owens – I wish someone would send me on gardening leave. On the other hand I need to have a job in the first place…

5. queenie says:

Here, I think they call it “severance pay”. . . . [grin]

Hadn’t heard of ‘gardening leave’ – must say!

6. Linda says:

I used to work for the British government, and “gardening leave” is also a term used in the civil service, in a less pejorative fashion, for employees waiting to take up a new post.

7. Jenn says:

I am known in my business to take “gardening leave” just because the weather looks good and I need the extra time. Everyone laughs at me, but it makes me happy and that makes me a happier employee.

8. oldRoses says:

Is that what it’s called? I take a week off from work in May and October every year to garden.