Eat This

Foodies Achieve World Domination: White Flower Farm Starts Raising Beef

Elsie_the_cowPossibly more evidence that Michael Pollan’s food journalism has altered the culture profoundly, if weirdly: White Flower Farm is now selling its own grass-fed beef.

I haven’t eaten supermarket beef in at least a decade, since I discovered how delicious my local farmers’ organic beef is, so I certainly approve in theory.

In practice, however, I worry about the branding strategy. Do you really want to be thinking about gristle and bone while ordering overpriced perennials from White Flower’s exquisitely photographed catalog?  After all, it’s White Flower Farm.  Effete, pristine.  I cannot imagine the scent of manure coming off that catalog.

Posted by on December 22, 2007 at 3:09 pm, in the category Eat This.

7 responses to “Foodies Achieve World Domination: White Flower Farm Starts Raising Beef”

1. Lisa says:

Your description of WFF’s catalog was right on the money! And that’s when it hit me: WFF is the Martha Stewart of garden catalogs: expensive, often unrealistic, and a glorious, delicious fantasy in print. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Even MudWomen like me like to dream a little.

2. eliz says:

Yeah, but the illusion ends when you actually receive their plants. Their plants are not that good. Check the ratings on Dave’s Garden.

I like to read their catalog. Then I order from Bluestone, Select Seed, and Plant Delights.

3. Elizabeth, that’s my experience, too.

4. Lisa says:

Eliz, I know–I don’t ORDER from WFF any longer because the quality just isn’t there any more. The catalogs are still a fun fantasy read/browse, though.

5. York Rose says:

“After all, it’s White Flower Farm. Effete, pristine. I cannot imagine the scent of manure coming off that catalog.”

LOL!

I’m another who loves the catalog, but has a heart attack over the prices, and thus doesn’t order, or orders the same stuff elsewhere.

6. York Rose says:

LOL!

7. I love this site! Thanks for sharing, really useful to me!