Real Gardens

Divine Revelations, 2007

1. Sheet composting in the vegetable garden.  Where does mulching end and sheet composting begin?  I’m not sure, but possibly when you begin layering mulches, as I’m doing, with alpaca bedding next to the earth and ground-up leaves over it.  I’m not to the Ruth Stout point of knee-high mulch madness.  But this deeper mulching is certainly working for me–keeping down the weeds, keeping the soil moist, promoting explosive plant growth.  It’s allowing me to have a BIG vegetable garden at a weekend house.
  2. Callas_2 True red cranberry bean.  A strange bullet-shaped heirloom shell bean with a beautiful, shiny deep red skin.  So delicious, it turned my chili into a work of genius.
  3. Jarrahdale pumpkin.  A beautiful blue-grey pumpkin with insides that bake up dense and creamy, not stringy and watery, the bane of pumpkin pies.  Thanks to Jarrahdale, I’m getting "best pie I’ve ever eaten" reviews.
  4. Variegated Solomon’s seal.  This not-uncommon perennial, which theoretically craves moisture, was a complete star in the droughty summer of 2007, just getting bigger, lusher, and more beautiful, and saying to the world, "Drought, what drought?"
  5. Callas sunk into my little fish pond.  See photo.
  6. What the color scheme for my back beds really should be.  The bearded irises and Endless Summer hydrangeas are doing so well, I need to bring back the blue I’ve been banishing and get rid of all the pink flowers I don’t much like anyway.  Blue, maroon, and yellow.  Now that’s a color combination!
  7. Blind date with my Garden Rant partners in Buffalo.  Of course I was going to like them.  But I had no idea they’d be quite as lovely as they are.

Posted by on December 28, 2007 at 7:40 am, in the category Real Gardens.

8 responses to “Divine Revelations, 2007”

1. Jen says:

Ooh, I’ll have to try that pumpkin. Thanks for the tip!

2. Tibs says:

But is the pie a blue grey color? Would you have to shut your eyes to eat it?

3. No, Tibs, the pumpkin meat is a perfect orange.

4. susan harris says:

Wonderful post, and back at ‘ya, partner! S

5. chuck b. says:

Anyone know about a tasty short-season pumpkin–and a source for seed? Ideally, 80 days or fewer. The shortest I’ve seen is 90 days.

6. Curtis says:

Pumpkins sounds so good. I haven’t done sheet composting, unless you count taking potato peels, eggshells and the like being buried in my garden beds.

7. Here in West Texas where the soil begs for food like a hungry nestling, sheet composting is the way to go. Anything that will rot goes on the beds. These beds are tilled maybe once every three or four years. charamongarden.wordpress.com

8. Jeff Ball says:

Mulch or sheet composting does in fact keep down weeds, keep soil moist and help to keep the soil cooler. Those are secondary benefits to having a layer of organic material on the vegetable garden bed all year long. That mulch is food for the soil food web. No food, small soil food web.