I Don't Have a Garden, but I Watch One on TV

Time-Waster for the Office? No, Go Home!

BBC garden expert Alan Titchmarsh devotes nearly four hours (yes, I said four hours!) to the question of HOW to be a gardener–now what to do, but how to do it.  He starts by telling you to get out of the garden center and GO HOME.  Next up, sex.  Shameless sexual activity, in fact.  Watch it in your cube or call in sick.  Just don’t get any work done today.  It is a federal holiday, isn’t it?

Posted by on November 12, 2007 at 5:10 am, in the category I Don't Have a Garden, but I Watch One on TV.

10 Responses to “Time-Waster for the Office? No, Go Home!”

1. peasy says:

Thanks! The intro looks promising. The gardening book I’m always looking for is the one that tries to get inside the plant’s head without coming across like a hort textbook. And, besides, my latest Entourage DVD has an insurmountable error at the beginning of the third episode.

2. susan harris says:

Peasy, what’s the insurmountable error?
    And who’s doing to watch all four hours of this video? On my computer screen? Not even in the dead of winter. Now if it were on video and I could watch it while I’m on the treadmill, fine.

3. Algerine says:

There’s an online site for the series at http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg/. It seems you can earn a certificate from the Royal Horticultural Society in part by watching the show. Yeah, my lettuce will think twice about not growing when I wave that certificate in its face….

4. layanee says:

You’ve gotta love Alan T.! I’m with Susan though, no time for the four hours on the computer but the beginning looked encouraging! He is pretty down to earth…sorry!

5. chuck b. says:

Is this a cheap ploy to keep visitors on your website for a long time to drive up your advertising rates? It’s working! I watched an hour of it this morning before my laptop battery crashed.

So far it’s excellent. Not a lot I didn’t already know, but it’s made for people who’ve never gardened. I’m going to forward this link to my dad.

Best garden advice I didn’t follow: paint your fence before you plant. I hate how my fence is always up in my face when I look at the garden in pictures. It’s not really so bad in real life. Alan suggests using this gray-green color with some British name. Excellent!

He only recommends the absolutely necessary tools, and number one is the pitchfork and that is absolutely true, imo. He counsels the purchase of second-hand tools! YES! He’s uses his grandfather’s shovel, and explains the importance of that to him–in this moment he crystallizes something very important about gardening as a tradition, and I’m totally in love with him.

6. Heather says:

He had me when he compared releasing a vine from its potted restraints to releasing a woman from her corset. Hello nurse!

7. Marte says:

And he had me when he said that if I followed his advice, my garden would become “a center of shameless sexual activity.” I watched a half hour and really enjoyed it.

8. gina says:

i loved this! but i hold Garden Rant responsible for the wasted 3 hours…

9. Emma in MA says:

I grew up with Mr T on the telly and the radio ( a wonderful show called Gardener’s question time). He is Gardening Royalty! I will be taking my Macbook downstairs and watch whilst I walk on my treadmill this week!

10. Looks like Google yanked this down. That’s a damned shame.