Everybody's a Critic

House & Garden Magazine folds

This just in:  Conde Nast is shutting down House & Garden magazine and taking offline their rather nice website.   Shall we mourn the loss?  Do we care?

Posted by on November 5, 2007 at 11:13 am, in the category Everybody's a Critic.

8 responses to “House & Garden Magazine folds”

1. I care. One of my favorite publications, though not for the gardening coverage. I once sat next to an editor for a rival publication on a train and she said, “The reason House & Garden is so good is you really feel that it’s one person’s taste.” That publication–unlike say, Architectural Digest, which only features houses that look like hotels–had personality. Plus, Dominique Browning was big on environmental issues long before anybody else in the shelter business was paying attention. Plus, I loved reading Jay McInerney on wine.

2. susan harris says:

Ditto what M said. This is really a shame.

3. eliz says:

I liked it. It was a class pub. And yes, Michele, absolutely, McInerny’s wine talk was way better than his novels. I am sure he will find another berth.

So I guess you know what all 3 fellow ranters think!

4. Nancy Shanahan says:

the only thing i’ll really miss is dominique browning’s letter from the editor. dang! that girl can write…

5. Brooke says:

H&G is sentimental to me because my Mom’s garden was in there when I was little. It was my childhood home, and the garden I grew up in. Lately I don’t read it, but still too bad to see it go.

6. Plus, one less venue where a garden writer could make a living.

7. Chris says:

As a former (but disenchanted) reader, I’m sad but not surprised. While the writing in HG was always terrific, a diversity of taste and sensibility had been replaced in recent years by ONE taste and sensibility. While catering to one particular style & demographic can work well for an upstart like Dwell, it may have turned off long-time HG readers accustomed to variety.

8. Well, Chris, I like point of view in a publication. That’s why I read Dwell, too.