Taking Your Gardening Dollar

Garden Centers: Can You Provide This Level of Service?

IndoorgrowThis just in:

Thu Anh "Diana" Tran, 32, and her husband, James Nguyen, 47,
admitted to owning 10 houses that they leased to indoor
marijuana-growing operations. Raids on six of the homes yielded nearly
4,000 marijuana plants, according to federal task force agents. In a
good year, that many plants could reap profits of several million
dollars.

But wait, that’s not all!

Tran’s family operated Kent Garden Supplies, which the Drug
Enforcement Agency alleges was the hub of a sophisticated pot-growing
model commonly used in British Columbia. The store sold or leased grow
lights and all the other equipment needed to cultivate marijuana,
including seedlings.

Store employees allegedly helped grow operations set up, provided
advice on issues ranging from fertilizer to how to avoid
law-enforcement detection, and then helped distribute the drugs. In
some cases, the store allegedly provided the growing materials on
credit paid from the crop’s profits.

Now, this is the kind of customer service you want from a garden center!  Selling you the right fertilizer is one thing, but advice on avoiding law enforcement?  What gardener couldn’t benefit from information like this?

I live in Humboldt County, CA, where garden centers might sell indoor air filtration systems and high-tech security fencing in addition to all that quote-unquote tomato fertilizer.  Sometimes when I look around my neighborhood and wonder why I don’t see more people out gardening, I have to remind myself:  Oh yeah.  They’re gardening.  They’re just doing it inside.

Posted by on October 25, 2007 at 10:13 am, in the category Taking Your Gardening Dollar.

8 responses to “Garden Centers: Can You Provide This Level of Service?”

1. Duvall says:

Hi! The team from Garden & Gun Magazine just wanted to let you know that we appreciated your comments earlier this year, and let you know that our site is up and running now. We’d love it if you came to check out our progress since we last heard from you! We love your site. Keep it up, fellow outdoor enthusiasts!
    Thanks so much. Look forward to seeing you on our blog!

2. Heather says:

It was pretty common around here in my high school days for someone to be growing a crop of their own in the woods that parents never entered or behind the shed at the far back of the property. I knew of one father/son combo who shared the growing responsibilities (and harvest) with the understanding that the kid would take the rap if they were ever caught.

3. The gardening section of my local Borders is STUFFED with how-to-grow marijuana books. I mean, really, they barely have a single how-to-grow vegetables title, but an entire shelf is given over to the cannibis plant. Apparently, like most crops, it’s NOT THAT HARD.

4. Pam J. says:

Michele: that’s b/c when you start reading those cannabis-growing books you just can’t stop. Sort of like book munchies.

5. Amy, I’m from Humboldt too. Have you seen the new horticultural supply store on the 101 in Eureka? The walls are painted in psychedelic colors. Of course, that doesn’t mean anything…

6. It’s the market at work. You take a crop worth that much, and it has really fueled hydroponic and grow-light technology. You’re right that it can’t be that hard to grow. The plant is actually a weed. Back in the day visiting farms in the Midwest where industrial hemp was once a crop, you can see ‘ditch weed’ (very low-potency hemp) growing all over, and it’s a huge, rugged, aggressive species. Grow it? It’s impossible to get rid of it.

7. Brooke says:

When I was a kid growing up in San Luis Obispo, Ca, I remember once my friends and I took this GIANT marijuana “tree” that my boyfriends Dad was growing in the backyard. We didn’t realize it, we just thought of it as a prank, but boy was his Dad mad! And he could’t really call our parents and tell on us! They ended up moving to B.C.

But I hear marijuana’s not like it used to be in my parent’s days or when I was a kid in the 70/80’s, what with all this crazy stuff they do to it nowadays. I feel old.

8. Tibs says:

A few years back someone was growing marijuana in their backyard garden. When the police arrived on a tip from a neighbor, they said they thought it was just a weed. The policeman’s comment: “I never saw a weed staked like a tomato plant.”