Ministry of Controversy

362bn20070927b001lushparksidegar4_2

Yeah, more on this. But I had to share this gorgeous image of Jean in her garden (taken by News photographer Harry Scull, famous for his shot of OJ’s Bruno Maglias) and provide further proof of the power of your activism. Had those emails not arrived (they really caused a sensation), Jean might still be facing a court date. Here’s another excerpt from the story (priceless quote above) that appeared in today’s story in the Buffalo News by Brian Meyer:

In the span of two days, Jean Dickson’s lush front yard on Crescent Avenue received separate visits from the mayor, the city’s top inspections honcho and two other city administrators.

They didn’t come to admire the rose of Sharon, peonies and wildflowers that have created a distinctive landscape in this Parkside neighborhood.

City Hall leaders visited because an inspector sent Dickson notice that her garden was violating ordinances. That, in turn, touched off a tidal wave of e-mails and blog entries from outraged gardeners.

Mayor Byron W. Brown said he even received e-mails from people living out of state.

Read the whole story here. Buffalo News story I may have to remove the picture (not kosher, I know) but you can see it on the website for a week.

Posted by on September 27, 2007 at 8:56 am, in the category Ministry of Controversy.

9 Responses to ““Brown said he only got involved after receiving numerous e-mails from angry gardeners.””

1. What a happy ending! Lovely photo, too.

2. Pamela says:

I just love being part of an angry, gardening email mob! It’s great that Jean doesn’t have this hanging over her head, but does she already have legal fees?

3. squirrekgardens says:

Never been called an angry gardener from out of state before. Kinda makes me proud.

Minnesota also has lawn nazis too.

4. bev says:

This is just really exciting. Imagine what we can do together in the future, led by our fearless leaders of Garden Rant! Kudos to everyone involved.

5. David in VT says:

Garden on, Jean!

This series of posts really shows the power of this new kind of “community garden club”. Who’d have thought that computers would ever have anything to do with gardening.

Thanks for letting us in on the story.

6. Brooke says:

That’s so awesome that we really made a difference!

I would have said “badly” too, so I learned some new grammer today :-)

7. I don’t get people. Don’t they have anything better to do than to complain that someone has too many flowers growing in their yard?
    I guess I better watch out or the flower police will come and get me too.
    I’m glad it all worked out but it’s ashame it had to happen in the first place.