Uncategorized

Most Poignant Moment

Garden_sept_16_1

My vegetable garden this Sunday evening, right before our first frost.

Garden_sept_16_3

It won’t look quite like this again for another year.

Posted by on September 21, 2007 at 11:42 am, in the category Uncategorized.

8 responses to “Most Poignant Moment”

1. eliz says:

OMG! You had a frost! It’s been 80 here. It doesn’t even seem like we’re in the same state.

Lovely images. Love your sunflowers.

2. I want to see the after the frost picture so I know what to expect.

3. Pam says:

Beautiful! What is that vine on your trellis/arbor thingy?
    Thanks for sharing.

4. Jenn says:

That’s just idyllic… I love it. Now I want one! (pout)

I seem to be veg-challenged. Any flower in the world will grow for me but I can’t get a stupid radish to grow. Makes me feel stupid. ugh.

5. Pam/Digging says:

That’s a lovely garden. But I’m with Christopher—I want to see it after the frost, just for comparison.

6. Brooke says:

Gosh, I can’t believe you had a frost already, that’s so sad. Too soon! I guess we won’t have our first frost for another month, although it has been chilly in the mornings. I dread winter.

7. Elizabeth, we’ve had 80 degree weather here, too. But it was cold Sunday night, and I garden in a relatively low spot–a frost magnet. The frustrating thing is that one little nip of frost finishes off certain things the garden.

Christopher C, I promise you after-the-frost pictures. I’ll take them this weekend. Things just get ugly–the basil is black, the giant squash leaves are now saggy.

The vines around my gate are one of my absolute favorite vegetables, pole beans. Scarlet Runner Bean on the right and Blue Coco on the left. Both delicious, both have gorgeous blooms.

8. Peter Hoh says:

We dodged a frost a week or so ago, and since then we’ve been enjoying warm temps. Might get a few more ripe tomatoes before the next frost.

And yet, there’s a part of me that wished the frost had hit us, too. Then I could get to all the pre-winter chores — digging out the dhalia bulbs and canna rhizomes and all that jazz — while it’s still relatively warm.