It's the Plants, Darling

Nothing to sneeze at

Goldenrod
He is blind indeed who does not know goldenrod, but he is a taxonomist if he knows all the goldenrods.
—Edwin Rollin Spencer, All About Weeds

I’m with Michele on the joys of seeing goldenrod everywhere at this time of year. And I do mean everywhere: in alleys, alongside highways, covering vacant lots, in the parks, in the fields, in the meadows. Nothing can keep it down; it seems to thrive in the most inhospitable of urban situations as well as going—well, wild, in the wild.

Next year, I plan to domesticate it as part of a scheme for replacing a rose bed with a tall perennial border. I do hear talk of it irritating the allergic, but I’ve also heard that it’s unfairly blamed for the sins of ragweed, in bloom at the same time. There are twenty species common to this part of New York, but don’t ask me which I see most—probably solidago canadensis.

Goldenrod was suggested as the official flower of the U.S. about 100 years ago, but eventually lost out to whatever our country’s flower is now. See? I don’t even know. (Well, I do. It’s the rose—declared as recently as 1987—but I had to google it.) It may as well be Western New York’s official flower. I’d vote for it.

Posted by on September 9, 2007 at 12:00 pm, in the category It's the Plants, Darling.

16 responses to “Nothing to sneeze at”

1. I thought I was alone in my goldenrod affection – in WDC parts I’m constantly scold for cultivating this noxious weed – I dug up what I have from a construction site. I love it in cut arrangements and know the wildlife certainly adores it.

2. Marte says:

How interesting to see this post at this time! Just this evening I showed my husband the “volunteer” plants in the big garden. It was goldenrod. He always thought he was allergic to it, but I’ve finally convinced him that it’s the ragweed that blooms at the same time. Now a question: There are two goldenrod plants amongst my bee balm and spiderwort. Can I dig them up and transplant them or will the seeds fly all over the place? Suggestions?

3. eliz says:

I’ve never planted it, Marte–I plan to–but what I hear is that you can divide it and replant or even just lay a branch down where you want it to seed.

4. They are selecting and selling new dwarf cultivars of Goldenrod among other selections. It’s not just a weed any more.

5. Pam J. says:

Anyone old enough to remember Everett Dirksen? Republican senator from IL. Probably considered a conservative in his day (50s/60s) but by today’s standards he’d be a liberal. He tried, but failed, to make marigolds the national flower. I know, I know, marigolds are the work of the devil. But I like them, probably because so many other people don’t. They have spunk and grit and are very unpretentious.

6. David in VT says:

I highly recommend Solidago rugosa ‘Fireworks’. The graceful, arching sprays are lovely and the foliage is clean to the base. Here in Vermont, it is just about to bloom.

7. kelly says:

Our property is ringed in large banks of goldenrod and I love watching the bees and butterflies darting in and out of the waving fronds. They fill in otherwise blank spots at just the right time and I have to remind myself that it’s the ragweed that’s making my head feel like a semi-truck is parked in my sinuses… not those lovely golden boughs.

8. Nancy says:

Another vote for goldenrod–I have both the Solidago rugosa “Fireworks” (purchased) and Solidago gigantea (volunteer) which is about 7 feet tall. I love them both–they really make my long border in late Sept. through October. I don’t find either one particularly agressive, both seem to stay put, although they each are about five feet wide. Fireworks is just beginning to bloom now, and the other should begin early next week.

9. Gloria says:

I would vote for Goldenrod as a National flower although these types of symbols are lost on me.
    Solidago is an amazing plant that has something like 74 species that have adapted to every state in the Union including Alaska and Hawaii. Check out these distribution maps.
    Everything from dry poor soil to wetlands.

If you notice all the old information on wildlife says of minor importance to wildlife as food and cover. This is from before insects in general and pollinators specifically were included when speaking of wildlife. Just get near any form of goldenrod on a sunny afternoon and its importance will become apparent.

10. Greengirl says:

So true! Goldenrod is a last-chance pollen/nectar source for many bees and wasps. However, did you know that our beloved Goldenrod is a big-time invasive in China?

11. eliz says:

Indeed, I did see that it is a huge problem in China and to a lesser degree parts of Europe as well.

12. Beth says:

Another vote for Fireworks. It’s gonna be amazing in less than a week here in south central KY.

13. firefly says:

I planted two types of goldenrod, rugosa and caesia (blue-stemmed goldenrod) this spring. About a week ago I found the caesia, which was budding out to bloom, broken off at the ground. Either it was the *$@#! garden hose (which flops over everywhere it isn’t wanted) or a #$@!!** squirrel (squirrels in my yard often pull plants down to their level to check for food).

I’m hoping it comes back in the spring, but there won’t be any flowers from that plant this fall.

Dammit.

14. carolyngail says:

I love Goldenrod, the State flower of my native Alabama where it grows in abundance.

15. John says:

Just got back from a trip to Cape Cod, Massachusetts, where various goldenrods are in bloom, as elsewhere. The seaside goldenrod, Solidago sempervirens, is especially nice.

As for good garden varieties, +1 for ‘Fireworks.’ Looks great, and doesn’t seed around too much.