Real Gardens

What part of your garden do you hate the most?

Ugly

I find myself thinking a lot of about trouble spots in my garden and how to fix them. Like the easeway/hellstrip, the nooks and crannies I can’t quite get to, and the rhododendrons that are going to cost me a fortune to replace—and with what?

As much as I love participating in the monthly Bloom Day (I have a great one planned for August!), sometimes I think by focusing on my love affair with my favorite plants, I’m hiding from the aspects of the garden that could be improved—and probably in ways I could never even imagine on my own.

So, I propose this. That anyone who is interested post on their own blog their least favorite or biggest problem area in their garden, and indicate here on this post that you have done so.

Craig actually gave me the idea, in a comment he left on this post in which I disclose bad parts of my garden (though he used the word “meme” which always freaks me out for some reason). Craig then did a very cool post in which he displayed some excellent ugliness. Some of wasn’t that bad, but some really was. Bravo!

But it’s not just about bragging—or choosing who is the ugliest of all. Perhaps some of our fellow bloggers have the perfect solution to problems we’ve been struggling with for years. Even if not, I think it would be fun.

Let the ugliness (or just problems) begin—and if, inspired by Craig or me, you already did a post, please let us know.

As you maybe noticed, I’m fooling around with byline options–I’m not there yet, but will have something I’m happy with soon.

Posted by on August 8, 2007 at 2:00 pm, in the category Real Gardens.

8 responses to “What part of your garden do you hate the most?”

1. layanee says:

Elizabeth: I think it was Colleen, at In the Garden Online who actually started the ‘ugly spot’ roll! I have new ugly spots since that post! I agree that the blog community will have good solutions to all of our problems but I really wish I could borrow those ‘Deadheaders’ from Kris at Blithwold! That would really help the cause!

2. David says:

I recently did a post, inspired by Colleen, on the bad parts of my garden. It’s the July 12 post “What’s Working and What Isn’t.” Those were the worst spots–there are many more that are just unspectacularly ugly

3. jodi says:

AS Layanee says, some of us took part in a “The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly” post-a-rama a few weeks back–in my case, it was “The Good, the Bad, and the Goutweed” (my utter nemesis), which you can read me whinging about at http://tinyurl.com/2dnb2j.

I do have it on the run, though…..

4. eliz says:

I had not seen the original Garden Design Online post–sorry Colleen! Nonetheless, I feel it is an excellent initiative. Great minds and all that

5. Colleen says:

LOL Nothing to apologize for. I was going to say the same thing: great minds think alike 😉

6. Rachel says:

Not much is pretty to look at in my recently acquired bit of earth. I need all the help I can get. I think I need to hire Susan!!

7. Tracy says:

Strange. I just posted on my “problem child” bed then read your post. Here it is: http://timberglade.typepad.com/outside/2007/08/my-problem-chil.html