It's the Plants, Darling

Stinky Hellebore Enthusiasts, Unite!

HelleboreSunshine Farm & Gardens sent us this photo of Hellebore foetidus ‘Frenchy.‘  Could you, would you, with a hellebore?

Their description won us over:

"There really is no "stink", but if you crush the foliage, you’ll get a very
strong chlorophyll fragrance. The delicate, sexy foliage is the main motive for
growing this plant, but the flowers, which occur in late Winter and early
Spring, are also very attractive and long lasting."

Oh, baby.  You had us at "sexy foliage."

We also appreciate the fact that:   "This plant list isn’t designed to be a sales catalog, rather,
it is meant asBarry an informative list of some of our interesting and
worthwhile plants.
The definitive, up-to-date list of what’s in production for sale resides in
Barry’s head
Please e-mail Barry’s head
to inquire about
availability."

Thanks, Barry’s Head, for the creepy hellebore zombie photo we won’t soon forget.

Posted by on August 30, 2007 at 8:30 am, in the category It's the Plants, Darling.

7 responses to “Stinky Hellebore Enthusiasts, Unite!”

1. eliz says:

When I look at that picture, it begins to make a lot of sense that the gardening section at my local B&N is approximately 1/3 books about cannabis growing.

2. The foliage is definitely sexier than Barry’s head.
    But there’s something about Barry’s head, the eyes, the hair, the T shirt. Are you sure he didn’t teach art at my old Jr. High school in the 60’s?

3. Barry Glick says:

Elizabeth Licata was one of my favorite students in Jr High School back in the good ole 60’s. As with most of my students, she’s turned out to be a brilliant success.

4. I’m going to have to try again to grow the stinking hellebore. I’ve killed it just once. Love the foliage of all hellebores, but I’ve never thought of it as “sexy.” To me, “sexy” foliage has to feel good, such as that lambs’ ears, Stachys ‘Helene Von Stein.’ Or is that too much information? πŸ˜‰

5. eliz says:

The LATE 60s, thank you.

I wish it had been someone like Barry instead of those psychotic nuns.

Eliz.

6. Ann says:

Could I give you about 2 tons of stinking hellebore? It’s very invasive here, and it’s growing everywhere, including on my compost heap. I hate it. I like Lenten Roses (the OTHER kind of hellebore), but not this straggly, invasive stuff. Take my hellebore — please.

7. Barry Glick says:

Well….Mr. McGregor’s Daughter, you may have been safer with the nuns :)

The images on your blog, http://mcgregorsdaughter.blogspot.com/ are fantastic. Is that Hypoxix hirsuta at the bottom?