Taking Your Gardening Dollar

I Need A Vacation

Home_depot_2

Though I know that some Rant readers have reported real improvements in their Home Depot garden centers since Bob Nardelli got the boot, my local Home Depot continues just as weird as ever.  Cement cowboy boot planters, boy, that’s just what all the upstate gardeners are looking for in late August!

Here’s the thing: I had an odd yen for these.  Maybe line the path up to my Victorian door with cowboy boots.  Maybe fill the whole front bed with cowboy boots.  Maybe put a hundred in my backyard and call it a day.  Now that I’ve been to Buffalo and seen how the real sophisticates garden, it’s clear that my garden could use a touch of Dali or Bunuel.  Something a little surreal to scandalize the neighbors.

I don’t know.  When you are seriously considering whipping out your wallet for a cement cowboy boot, it might be time for a car trip to Maine.

Posted by on August 24, 2007 at 9:44 am, in the category Taking Your Gardening Dollar.

14 responses to “I Need A Vacation”

1. gina says:

It’s strange that you mention those obnoxios HD boots. Every time I’m there my affection for them grows. It started with “WTH were they thinking???” I’ve now migrated to more of a “Hmmmm I think those are kinda cool but I’m embarrassed to admit it.”

2. layanee says:

I’ll bet when you go back next week those boots will be gone! LOL

3. eliz says:

It was only a matter of time. Garden writers have been urging us to plant in “whimsical” found object containers for years–and boots are always first on the list. An actual ceramic boot planter is much more practical than old leather boots.

I’m holding out for the ceramic toilet bowl replica planters. Then, and only then, will they get my money.

4. Ellis Hollow says:

Cement cowboy boots? There are some huge political metaphors there somewhere. But I can’t go there what with NSA listening in. ;-7

5. Pam/Digging says:

These would be scary even in Texas. Michele, maybe when you’re contemplating a concrete cowboy boot purchase, you’re really hankering for a trip to the Lone Star State, not to Maine.

6. Hi believe you missed the point. They were on sale! There is clearly a Home Depot demographic that can’t resist a sale–regardless of how tasteless and inappropriate.

–Robin (Bumblebee)

7. Debbie TT says:

You need to plant these babies in a garden bed–upside down, like a person just dove into the garden.

But seriously there must be a garden with a serious old west theme, complete with a wagon wheel, these boots would go in.

Just don’t plant them near mine!

8. Debbie TT says:

Just don’t plant them near mine!

9. Debbie TT says:

Just don’t plant them near mine!

10. Carol says:

What you really need to do is get a brass bed headboard and plant one of those “garden beds”. Then put a pair of these boots next to it, maybe drape an old shirt over the headboard and plant a little flower in the pocket of the shirt, add a cowboy hat upside down with some hens and chickens in it. That would get the neigbors to look twice!

11. As an alternative to Debie TT’s idea of putting them upside down in a garden bed, you could put a pair of these flush against the house, toes pointing up, to give a surreal Wizard-of-Oz effect.

12. Ann says:

My massage therapist has a “garden bed” planted inside a cute little iron (stainless steel?) bed frame. I like the boots. But maybe one on the porch?

13. Kevin says:

I find your comments belittling and insulting. If these were for sale in Buffalo, NY it was probably not the best demographic for them. Isn’t it interesting how people who consider themselves open minded and progressive, can be so closed minded and degrading when it comes to matters of taste?

14. Kim says:

I found this blog post because I’m searching for this boot online. It’s 2012 and they are currently being sold at my local HD for $45. I, for one, love it – and yes, I’m a Texan. :) We just moved into a new house and for father’s day, I’m planning to build a little garden area for my husband, complete with an outdoor lounge chair and succulents. I wanted this boot for the garden, but think the price is outrageous. And, yes, even here in TX, putting a boot like this in your garden takes some boldness – whether it be because of the gaudy factor or because it makes it looks like you’re trying too hard. So, I get where you’re coming from. It’s going in a discrete corner in our backyard and I think it’s perfect for my husband’s manly garden space. We do both wear and love cowboy boots. :)