It's the Plants, Darling

Babysitting

Babysitting_2

Swamp mallows or hibiscus moscheutos have to be the most unforgivably vulgar of all perennials, more obvious than even than the most tawdry double peony or bearded iris or Jersey girl.  I’d never put one near any serious architecture, but in front of my silly Victorian house, they’d be perfect.  Unfortunately, I’ve bought approximately a dozen of them over my gardening career and have never seen one reappear in spring–or, as the books will warn you, in very late spring, after sleeping in without having removed any of their make-up the night before.

But there is a house a block up the street from me where nothing much happens, garden-wise, except –get this–on the hell strip in the sandiest soil west of East Hampton, three utterly stunning swamp mallows.  The situation puzzled me in the extreme, until one morning, I got up earlier than usual to walk my son to a tennis lesson at the park.  And there was a guy tending to these beauties with a hose.

"Man, they ARE stunning," I said to him as I passed by. "How do you do it?  They always kick the bucket for me."

"Well," he said sagely, "you have to babysit them for three years.  And I mean, babysit them.  I actually put a baby blanket over them their first winter.  And you have to water, water, water."

Hmmm, I thought, I would like those plants, but I already have three actual babies. A husband, a dog, two cats, and four goldfish.  A visiting teenager from Germany.  A couple of nice but demanding speechwriting clients.  Enough vegetables to fill a 45 by 35-foot garden.  And about a thousand plants in my city yard.  What all these living beings tend to get from me resembles triage more than babysitting.

Still, I suppose there are certain favorites.  My lilies–they tend to get fertilized while other things are ignored.  Every spring, I sweep out the fireplace and give all the wood ash to the clematis, which like more alkaline soil and seem grateful.

Actually, I’d like to fetishize my entire garden the way my neighbor does his three swamp mallows.  I mean, think how beautiful it would be, if everything were given ideal conditions.  But I could only do that if I narrowed my focus radically, and I’m unwilling.  I remember reading once about a 65-year old gardener in Pennsylvania who said that at her stage of life, she had no time for fussing, she gardened with an ax.

Interesting question, actually.  Where do your ambitions lie?  In a few things beautifully grown–or in a big landscape that will inevitably have rough spots?

Posted by on August 17, 2007 at 5:46 am, in the category It's the Plants, Darling.

8 responses to “Babysitting”

1. Ellis Hollow says:

I’m blessed (?) with a lot of heavy, wet soil — waterlogged in some places for most of the summer. So I’ve got my Hibiscus moscheutos mixed in with monarda, filipendula and others that like those conditions. If planted alone, yes, mallows look kind of tacky. But with all those other species fading this time of year, they look OK.

2. layanee says:

I had to LOL at that comment about gardening with an ax as my husband asked me yesterday if I had a machete. I think he wanted it to cut down the corn but still…where would one store a machete? I think I would need one of those belt holders like a pirate has. Still LOL. I think I will be able to coddle things a bit more when I retire from a paying job! And, you are right, those are just too, well, vulgar is a good work!

3. Doug Green says:

I responded over at my own blog about the Swamp Mallow. 😉

For the record though, I want a massive garden without rough spots.

4. Heather says:

I’m going for the small garden with mostly rough spots. I can’t think of one spot that looks good in my garden right now. :( Stupid droughtfloodingbaking weather.

5. firefly says:

Hibiscus syriacus has the same flowers, shrub form, silver bark, nicely cut foliage and it likes dry soil. I have two planted last year and haven’t had to baby them at all (defend one against Japanese beetles, yes, but no babying). Hardy to zone 5, as well.

I love the look of hibiscus flowers, but I could never bring myself to put a blanket over anything.

I have, however, tried to match plants to spots in the various beds through the yard so hopefully there won’t be any rough spots.

It’s early yet, so we’ll see.

6. eliz says:

My mother-in-law always used to warn me about spoiling my plants and now I see what she meant. We water assidiously and they’ve gotten used to it.

I will fertilize shrubs though–they’re big and they give us a lot of enjoyment (I mean–what about a hydrangea that flowers ALL SUMMER and even changes the colors of its flowers for you in case you were bored!).

Plants give me so much pleasure that I cannot begrudge them a splash of nourishment now and then.

7. Gloria says:

Large garden rough spots. Thats my style. Even with a small garden, few plants and plenty of time.The goal of a habitat garden is to provide food and space for creatures. I could live in a tent in a forest. Oh yeah, I have…

8. Ann says:

I am obsessed with my veggie garden (including volunteer acorn squash!). My perennials go begging, dying in the drought, actually, while I moon over various varieties of tomatoes, watermelon, etc. etc. etc.