It's the Plants, Darling

All together now

Bloom

We ranters are blooming all the time, of course, but this month only three have images to show; Amy is busy on the road.

Michele

I know now that Michele’s heart belongs mostly to her veggies, but she loves her lilies and dahlias too. Here are some anonymous ball dahlias that produce very well for her, allowing spare clumps for the neighbors as well.

Oakleafaugust375Echinops300

Susan is busy coaching, giving interviews about coaching, and ripping out her lawn, trowel-full by trowel-full, but she did send in these hydrangeas (coloring beautifully) and some echinops (always cool).

Rud

As for me, I have fallen in love with these Prairie Glow rudbeckia trilobia, now providing the most intense color in the garden. They may not be quite perennial, but I will have no problem buying more now that I’ve seen what they can do. You can see some other late summer perens and annuals in the background.

Posted by on August 15, 2007 at 5:00 am, in the category It's the Plants, Darling.

6 responses to “All together now”

1. Tai Haku says:

Ooh I like that Rudbeckia.

2. layanee says:

Love the veggie garden and hydrangeas are a must have but I see why you have fallen in love with that rudbeckia! Vibrant!

3. Carol says:

Lots of variety amongst you ranters! I, too, have a soft spot for the vegetable garden, but don’t know if I can resist those rudbeckias. Those would look great in my garden.

4. Tina says:

The rudbeckia shown is not R. triloba.

5. eliz says:

According to Select Seed (which is where I got it and all I have to go on) it is. Their description: Rudbeckia triloba. Lovely garnet many-branched stems hold upright clouds of ray flowers in hues of gold and burgundy. Seed of this Iowa prairie flower was kindly shared by David Cavagnaro, who over the years selected the richest colored plants. A biennial to short-lived perennial that blooms summer and early fall. Self sows.

It must be a special hybrid or offshoot though. I imagine this David Cavagnaro could get to the bottom of it. I did a little further research and another site did say this is a color break from the native triloba.

6. It’s kind of appropriate that all the ranters’ plants stand up very straight and have definite shapes and colors – and probably opinions, too.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose