Who's Ranting About Us

Graham Rice’s Top 10 Blogs

Over on Transatlantic Plantsman, Graham is ever-so-helpful to his newbie blog-readers back home in England.  It’s Blogging 101, plus some more advanced details I’m still confused about myself.  (Feedburner "Subscribe Here" creates emails to readers of your new posts?  And how’s that different from using a blog-reader?)

But Graham quickly moves on to our favorite part – the blogs he recommends.  Heaps of thanks and a virtual group hug for the generous endorsement!

Ten recommended blogs
Finally, to get you started, here are ten recommended gardening and plant blogs from the UK and USA. There are more in the sidebar over on the right.

GardenWeb’s Garden Voices
Daily highlights from the gardening blogs

Garden Rant
Firm opinion, with an endearing touch of justified hysteria from Susan Harris, Elizabeth Licata, Michelle Owens and Amy Stewart. Superb.  There are links to their own individual blogs too.

Horticultural
Jane Perrone’s organic allotment and garden blog from England.

Invasive Plants in Arlington
Photo diary or working on non-native, invasive plants in Arlington, Virginia.

Mostlymacro
Sightings and photographs from the natural world in Yorkshire, England.

Irene’s Garden and Beyond
New York Newsday’s gardening columnist Irene Virag on her garden and beyond.

GardenDesignOnline
Gardening and landscape design with attitude from Jane Berger in Washington DC and Woods Hole, Massachusetts.

Cold Climate Gardening
Hardy plants for hardy souls from Kathy Purdy in zone 4, New York state.

A Study in Contrasts
Mostly garden-related musings of a transplant living near the sandy shores of Lake Erie.

May Dreams Gardens
From Indiana, including the Garden Bloggers’ Book Club

What an interesting list, and I’m glad it includes my buddy Jane Berger, who’s an excellent writer and practically a neighbor.  But about the invasive plant crusader in Northern Virginia?  That just proves once again that there are people who devote themselves to fighting the good fight, be it environmental or political, and then there are people like me, who vote with them and write checks to them but really just want to enjoy being outside, ya know?  There’s a popular bumper sticker in my neighborhood that reads, "I’d Rather Be Fighting Global Warming," to which my honest reaction is that I’d rather be enjoying nature while those other folks are out fighting global warming.  Am I the only one?

Posted by on February 18, 2007 at 7:26 am, in the category Who's Ranting About Us.

11 Responses to “Graham Rice’s Top 10 Blogs”

1. Peter Hoh says:

Not really a complaint, but when I visit a new garden blog, I’d like to be able to see some photos.

Especially now. It’s February. I’m in Zone 4a. Need I say more?

This is not to say that I want gardenp0rn in lieu of content. But I’m shallow this time of year. I want pretty pictures. And then maybe I’ll stay around to read.

Really, I only look at garden blogs for the articles. Honest. I save my real drooling for the seed catalogs. I hate having to wipe the keyboard.

Not that I want to see home pages crowded with photos, but it would be nice to be able to see a garden bloggers own garden, or a small set of favorite garden photos. That would give me a window on that writer’s aesthetic sense.

Some bloggers have a link to their photo archive. That would be nice. Other blogs, like this one, have searchable categories that take you to entries with photos. I like that.

The Renegade Gardener is one of my favorite sites. Though I wish it were updated as often as this blog, I realize that it’s a one-man-show, so I’ll cut Don some slack.

Don puts up a lot of photos — of good garden design and bad. I’ve learned a lot from his photos of bad garden design and other mistakes. I just hope I never see my garden on his “Don’t Do That” page.

2. eliz says:

I agree about the photos–we garden bloggers sound off on a lot of issues, so I think we owe it to our readers to let them see the mistakes we’re making in our own gardens, as well as our successes. I have a little flickr show on mine that I’ll be updating each season. And most of the other garden blogs seem to have something similar.

3. Graham Rice says:

Hi Susan, Glad you like my basic blog reading post. I could have headlined it Blogreading 101 – but hardly anyone in England knows what 101 signifies. (UK: It means a beginner’s course.) In fact the most likely 101 cultural reference in the UK is to a TV show called Room 101 in which celebrities are asked to select objects, ideas, movies, anything really which they would like to see banished from the face of the earth for ever. They are consigned to Room 101.)

Anyway, clicking on “Subscribe to this blog’s feed” usually opens up links to a range of blogreaders for possible use. Putting your email address in the box and clicking will ensure an email is sent to you when there’s a new post to be read – and give a clickable link.

And Peter, I agree pix are invaluable and I always try to add pix to my posts – sometimes three or four. But not everyone realizes that if you click on an image in a blog hosted by Tyepad (Garden Rant, Transatlantic Plantsman, and many more) a larger version of the image pops up.

PS Plants for Room 101 is ©GrahamRice – for a future post!

4. Carol says:

Graham, thank you, again, for including my blog in your Top 10 list. I’m looking forward to “Plants for Room 101″, on your blog, now that I know what that means.

Including pictures can be difficult when the only thing outside is snow, but I agree sometimes a picture tells the story, even if it is the story of a mistake we’ve made… maybe expecially if it is about a mistake. We all learn from each other.

5. Ellis Hollow says:

I hesitate to write an entry on my blog without a picture. Reading online is difficult. Images aren’t great compared with print. But I’ll admit that if I visit a site and it’s all text (and long chunks of it), I x-it out and go look for another.

Peter: Lots of pix — summer and winter — over at my place. Stop by sometime.

6. Peter Hoh says:

Elizabeth, Graham, Carol, and Craig: Thank you for directing me to your blogs.

7. Philip Voice says:

Photo’s – A touchy subject to some isn’t it?

I love photo’s and I have recently written on my blog about how they paint a thousand words.

In this instance I was referring to a garden designer who had only used text when describing a Clematis amandii ‘Apple Blossom’ and how she was excited as it was budding up.

A picture would have saved a lot of words in my opinion and hooked here visitors immediately.

Anyone have any views on this?

Regards

Phil aka Juicer

8. Ellis Hollow says:

Juicer, I can’t even start to understand my own garden without pictures, much less explain it to someone else. And I’m a writer by trade.

9. firefly says:

“and then there are people like me, who vote with them and write checks to them but really just want to enjoy being outside, ya know?”

The last time I thought writing checks could save the world was the Howard Dean presidential campaign, when a lot of checks going down the drain of a corporate media backlash made a giant sucking sound I will never forget.

Now I think that getting your hands dirty to make even the smallest ripple in the Universe is much better. Call me a starry-eyed idealist, but even if, in the end, it’s obliterated with the same sucking noise, at least it was direct effort.

I just can’t imagine my epitaph as, “She wrote lots of checks.”

10. Pam says:

What a nice list!

PS When you work in your garden – aren’t you out in nature…and fighting global warming? I’m not sure that the two are incompatible in the slightest!