Who's Ranting About Us

Garden Design on Garden Rant

“Pithy, hysterically funny, with poignant news and views of all aspects of the garden world. Don’t miss their Manifesto!”

That’s what Garden Design says about Garden Rant in their March issue. Referring to us as a “national blog,” writer Maureen Gilmer introduces readers of the magazine to the world of garden blogs, and—this is the part we’re excited about—lists Garden Rant as one of six on a “blog roll of honor.”

Needless to say, we are more than thrilled to be recognized by this über-hip periodical—it’s the one with all the chic furniture and cutting-edge gardens from all over the world. (This issue features Bali.) The issue also contains their yearly “100 hot plants” feature and there’s a huge orange gerbera on the cover. Sorry, can’t link to it; their website still has the October/November issue.

It was interesting to check out the other five blogs that were mentioned. I’m a reader of Garden Design Online and knew about the Human Flower Project, but not the others. I look forward to checking in on them often, though; they sound fascinating.

Here are our partners in coolness:

GardenDesignOnline
Dreams and Bones
Seedhead
my aloe garden
Human Flower Project

And in another example of how Amy’s book continues to bring attention to Garden Rant, we are also mentioned in the review of Flower Confidential published in yesterday’s Christian Science Monitor.

Posted by on February 21, 2007 at 4:30 am, in the category Who's Ranting About Us.

11 Responses to “Garden Design on Garden Rant”

1. eliz says:

Although, as a postscript, I have noted the word “hysteria” used about us by both Graham Rice and in this article (though in a different sense). Hmmm.

2. Michele says:

Man, better hysteria than bored with the subject–which is what most garden writing offers.

3. Pam/Digging says:

Congrats to Garden Rant and to Julie at Human Flower Project! Julie is one of the six garden bloggers in Austin and a very nice person as well.

Pam/Digging

4. Millie says:

CONGRATULATIONS!! I’m proud to be a fan of all of you and Susan in particular. Great going – keep it up. Even though you are a bunch of hysterics,

5. Ellis Hollow says:

At the risk of stating the obvious, the origin of hysterics from dictionary.com:

[Origin: 1650–60; < L hystericus < Gk hysterikós, suffering in the womb, hysterical (reflecting the Greeks’ belief that hysteria was peculiar to women and caused by disturbances in the uterus);

I don’t think Graham or the GD author meant anything personal, though.

6. Nancy Benpazi says:

More blogs more links.Where will I find the time?

I’m becoming quite hysterical myself.

7. Congratulations to all of you at GardenRant from another of the Austin Garden bloggers – you’ve enlivened my world and now a wider audience may find you!

It’s cool to see Julie of the Human Flower Project share in this honor. [She's not only a wonderful writer, but bakes an astonishingly good Apple Strudel.] Congratulations to her and to the other blogs of note!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

8. Hey gang!
    Want to know what is really hysterical? At least it has me laughing. In a sad sort of way.

1st Garden Design gives you a big shout out . . . congradulations!

2nd (and big However coming) you post about “this über-hip periodical”, and how they write about “chic furniture and cutting-edge gardens” and have Gerbera daisies on the cover . . . basically giving them major props, and all that.

Now 3rd . . . here’s the kicker-look at you’re who [WE ARE] sidebar there are 3, no 4 direct conflicts stated there, that go against what Garden Design . . .the magazine is/runs stories about/and delivers information to.There’s a lot of conflict especially #2!!!

I am somewhat disappointed by what I read as a small “sell-out”. I know you like the publicity and all, but it’s counter (Garden Design mag.) to most of the great stuff you ladies post about.

Rick

p.s. unrelated, Susan please send me that link to your friends building so I can give you some feedback. I apologize for deleting that link and not getting back to you sooner

9. eliz says:

I think it’s very nice of them to recognize us, regardless of whether I personally live by their gardening priorities or not.

There are a lot of gardeners in the world and we sure don’t all agree, but that’s what makes it interesting. I think the Garden Design article supports gardening blogging and I’m all for that.

10. Ellis Hollow says:

Sellout? Probably more like dynamic tension. I read that GD magazine, and love it when I see them take the horsetails I have in a black plastic pot in the water garden and gussy them up with an edgy pot and made a featured specimen in an outdoor living room.

I drive an old Ford Ranger. But it doesn’t mean I can’t ogle the Miata ads.

11. Georgia Master Gardener says:

I too am happy that GardenRant received publicity and recognition in Garden Design mag. Good for us! More folks will hopefully tune in to our approach to gardening. But here’s my big HOWEVER. I’ve subscribed to this magazine for several years, but I’m not renewing my subscription. I guess it was the $12k marble outdoor shower (not bathroom or sink, etc, just a shower) that did it for me. Not to mention the $1200 patio chairs….The magazine is basically a showpiece of California and the Pacific Northwest Heronswood-wannabe gardens, and of families or partners who have a hundred thousand to lavish on hardscape, exotics and “garden rooms” (and $12K outdoor showers).