Taking Your Gardening Dollar

Rant on the Road

Dear Frustrated Gardeners,

There’s precious little to be done in the garden here in California, and even less in the frozen tundra that is Chicago  (How do you people live in a place where the high is twenty degrees?  Note to self: Publish next book in the summer!)

I have missed posting on GardenRant but I appreciate the break as I get ready for the Flower Confidential book tour.  If you’re in any of these cities, I hope you’ll come out and say hello.  Really, it would mean the world to me.  Get the details here.

• Wednesday, January 31, 7 pm:  Anderson’s Bookshop, Naperville, IL (Chicago area)
  • Thursday, February 1, 7 pm:  Harry W. Schwartz Bookshop, Brookfield, WI (Milwaukee area)
  • Friday, February 2, 7 pm:  Prairie Lights Bookstore, Iowa City, IA
  • Sunday, February 4, 3 pm:  Northtown Books, Arcata, CA

See you there!

Amy

Posted by on January 28, 2007 at 5:23 pm, in the category Taking Your Gardening Dollar.

23 responses to “Rant on the Road”

1. Peter Hoh says:

What do I do when the high temp is less than 20F? I like to make ice. A garden tub — the kind used to mix concrete or soil — filled with 8 gallons of water makes a nice thick slab of ice. Suitable for building ice sculptures. Other tubs and buckets work, too, giving me an assortment of shapes with which to build. Add some tea lights, wait for dark, and enjoy.

2. We’ll try to give you better weather when you come to Austin, Amy, but it’s been cooler than usual so far.
    Going into nostalgia mode now to recall January 18th, 1994 in Chicago, a day when the low temperature was -21ºF, and the HIGH for the day was -11ºF. So you’re not doing that bad.

I hope the Naperville event will be fun for both you and the people you meet~

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

3. Carol says:

How do we live with a high of 20 degrees? With hats, gloves, scarves, boots, heavy socks, heavy coat and long underwear, and then we stay inside as much as possible and read books about gardening. I’ve added yours to my list to read!

I’ll watch to see if Indianapolis shows up on your book tour!

4. Emmakw says:

oooh, now I really have to go! Watch out for a short blonde with funny accent!!

5. Woohoo you’re actually coming to my neck of the woods! I’ll be at the Madison event and look forward to meeting you.

6. my florist is itching on venturing there too.

7. Peg says:

You know, I just might do that…I usually come home to Albany Thursday night after three days of working in Boston, but I have been wanting to see that flower show for years…

8. John says:

I’ll see you in Raleigh! It won’t be easy to overlook me, I’ll be the one with the cattle prod and bullhorn – I’m in charge of the tours.

Let me know if there is anything not on the agenda that you’d really like to see or do while here.

9. We’ll keep you in the loop. Thanks for mentioning the new website for Spring Fling.

10. Stuart says:

When’s the Australian Road Trip?

11. Maybe I’ll have to take a little trip to Raleigh. There are lots of gardens there worth touring. One of you could smuggle me in to Plant Delights if it isn’t a regular open house weekend.

12. Ah, Stuart, why don’t you just fly stateside. I’m planning on the Spring Fling and the GWA meeting. I don’t think I can fit Buffalo in there too. Drat.~~Dee

13. John says:

Christopher – PDN in on the tour list. That weekend is just before or just after an open house weekend I believe.

14. I’ll see you at Ranters at the GW meeting in September. Let’s hang out again Susan!
    Shirley

15. Looking forward to seeing Amy again at BBG! Must one use a long leash when walking wicked plants?

The other big national events are conflicts with my (non-gardening) work schedule.

16. Barbara says:

Missed connecting last year in Philadelphia but will be speaking on Tuesday, the 3rd. http://www.theflowershow.com/home/index.html

17. SJ says:

MMD,

Re: Rich’s – Are there folks carpooling?

I haven’t been to his place in years but would like to but I am near the city (which for the Lurie Garden tour is a good thing for that part) and it’s a good 50 – 60 miles out to his place.

18. Lisa Albert says:

I can’t make the other events, dang it, but I’m definitely going to Raleigh in September. But cattle prod and bullhorn?!?! Yikes, John, I promise to toe the line. I was a bus host for the ’08 GWA meeting here in Portland so you know that having been there, I’ll do my utmost to make your life easier.

Oh, and I’m delighted to hear Plant Delights is a tour stop!

19. Wish I was near by. I’d sure come to hear you talk dirty.

20. Wish I was closer! Next week is “soils” week in Master Gardener HORT 1003!

21. Pam says:

Oh good. Martha Stewart claimed in her magazine (I don’t have the source) that “real” gardeners don’t say dirt, they say soil. I say dirt all the time, and I’m glad to see I’m not the only one. 😀 Have a great talk!

22. shira says:

ooohhhh – so close, but I can’t make it, darn!

Will you be popping in anywhere else in CT that week?