Ministry of Controversy

Business News And Analysis: Nardelli Dumped Because Home Depot Bites

Me, I’m mad at him for turning one of the great retailing experiences in America into one of the most impossible.  And, as awful as it was waiting inside the store for someone to rescue you from the stroke you were about to have after being ignored for half an hour by the apparently blind and deaf help–worse was the experience outside, in the gardening center.

The gardening center: strange stilted plant choices, prices not evident, aisles a mess impossible to navigate with a cart, young people in orange aprons who acted as if they’d been forced into servitude at a leper colony so eager were they to avoid contact with the customers, an utter lack of knowledge when one was able to force any employee into answering a question, capped off by absurdly long lines at the single check-out lane.  Enraging–and yet sometimes necessary in a city like mine that is lacking in nurseries.

The person who engineered such an insulting experience for his customers deserves to be shown the door.  Let’s hope his replacement understands how very much money there is to be made off gardeners…if you treat them decently.

Posted by on January 5, 2007 at 4:19 am, in the category Ministry of Controversy.

12 responses to “Business News And Analysis: Nardelli Dumped Because Home Depot Bites”

1. Kathy says:

I’ve always preferred Lowes to Home Depot but it never occurred to me that a particular person was responsible. Lowes’care of plants seems to be going downhill of late, though.

2. susan harris says:

I DREAD going to a HD and will go miles out of my way to avoid the experience.
    And how much schadenfreude can I enjoy when the guy got away with THAT MUCH MONEY?

3. Jennifer says:

Can’t stand HD, but lately they built a new (larger) store to replace one a hurricane took out. It seems the new design allows more room between aisles, esp. in the “garden” center. However, the no-nothing staff still remains — just like at Lowes and Wally World and any other box that sells plants in their “garden” center.

4. El says:

How is it that these experiences can be so universal? Reason: Corporate culture. Lowe’s folks, in our little borough, are eminently friendlier, their store is neater, and their plant choices are deeper than the HD a half mile away. And I used to love HD! But then again that was 6 years ago or so.

5. Oldroses says:

I’ve sworn never to set foot in HD again. You’ve captured the experience perfectly. Maybe I’ll give them another chance if they install better management.

6. JLB says:

I sure do hope to see some improvements at the Home Depot with the change of leadership! They can only go up from here. 😉

7. I have a HD charge card for some reason. But I won’t go anymore. It just freaks me out.

Too painfull.

Not worth the heartache.

8. Kim says:

“All emotions described best by the Germans–a dark, unsympathetic culture if there ever was one–ought to be viewed with suspicion.”

*ahem*
    Thank you for the compliment. 😉

9. Stuart says:

Yes…but even as a defenestratee he walked away with $200 million + as his golden handshake.

Not bad for being the mistake of a CEO that he was.

10. chuck b. says:

I commend this furious, ferocious rant!

Brava!

11. Michele says:

Hey, I’d bet Nardelli is suffering the tortures of the damned at this present moment. He was rich enough when he arrived at Home Depot that the money was probably only meaningful as a measure of managerial genius. But now the whole world knows he’s not a genius, but a really second-rate business intellect. And he won’t leave with the one thing that’s important to all already rich guys…a legacy.

12. Most of those who have been “thrown out the finstra /window” are killed by the fall. That’s the point.

But Nardelli won’t be killed. We’ll see him again.