Taking Your Gardening Dollar

Getting all Crafty

Fertilizer_jar The one and only crafty thing I accomplished this season:  a jar of organic fertilizer, layered like those sand painting things we used to have to make in the second grade.  Bat guano, fish meal, greensand, bonemeal, kelp meal…it may not be precisely the combination of ingredients your garden needs, but hey, it probably can’t hurt.  And it sure is pretty.

Any other good garden-related gifts discovered/given/received this year?  I’m still waiting for my big Pile O Shit.  Either my loved ones don’t really believe that I actually want rotten horse manure for Christmas, or they just can’t bring themselves to actually cause it to be dumped in the alley on Christmas morn.

Posted by on December 20, 2006 at 6:30 am, in the category Taking Your Gardening Dollar.

13 responses to “Getting all Crafty”

1. That is gorgeous!
    Two inexpensive garden gifts that i just learned about are:
    ~ using vines (ivy, vinca, honeysuckle, etc.) as gift ribbon – just rip it out of your yard and get some weeding in as well
    ~ collecting seeds from your garden and putting together a baskets of the seed packs

I know when I was just a wee gardener I’d love to have receive the latter from some more experienced gardeners!

2. Tracy says:

Nothing terribly original, but I tarted up some of the jams I made this summer to give as gifts. Here they are:

I actually think of this as faux crafting, since all it involves is pinking sheers, fabric and ribbon.

3. Pam J. says:

Kathy: Thanks so much for the idea of using ivy etc for ribbon. For years I’ve saved the Sunday comics to use as wrapping paper so now I’ll add the ivy for that Totally Recycled Look. And after my kids unwrap all their gifts I’ll scoop up the ivy and dump it in the compost heap. To which they will say “mom, can you get any more eccentric?!” Fabulous!

4. So… you want some horse manure…

I have PLENTY and we are making more every day!

It is in Illinois.

Shall I fedex you some?

5. When my dad brought me a sack of well-rotted pony manure as a special gift, it was a sign that he appreciated my garden. I was delighted, and thanked him on behalf of the delphiniums.

Amy’s sand-art would be a great gift for the right person.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

6. Carol says:

Whenever I give $$ or gift cards for a gift, I always put it in a handmade seed packet and call it “seed money”.

I would love to get a jar of layered fertilizers. I would be 99.9% more likely to use that versus a jar of layered cookie mix!

7. Claire says:

A friend got two sacks of “Ewe Poo” and I am SO JEALOUS. Love the layered compost as a gift. GREAT IDEA.

8. I’ve been trying to get one of my friends or fam to get me a composter (the kind one can keep on a balcony) for a while now — and no one seems to wanna take me up on that one either. Apparently, it doesn’t strike most people as an “appropriate” gift —

9. Wouldn’t reindeer poo be easier to find this time of year…and much more seasonally appropriate?

(SMILE)

10. Michele Owens says:

My husband once gave me a pile of mushroom compost for my birthday. I thought it was a very romantic present.

11. Deirdre mannion says:

One of the best presents to receive is a olive or lemon tree, or any sort of small tree. LOVE THEM, A GREAT GIFT FOR ALL

12. Paul o toole says:

x Red robin, great colour in any garden, good hedgeing plant too. Paul O toole. Crumlin, Dublin , Ireland

13. Jo Kennedy says:

HEY GUYS, any tips for a very bad lawn, full of moss, any suggestions will I just get a new turf or can a box of Feed and Weed do it?, dont really want to get a new lawn. Thanks Jo Kennedy, Neangh, Co. Tipperary.