Taking Your Gardening Dollar

As Seen on TV

Looks like my old friend Jerry Baker has some competition for your gardening dollar from this equallyAsseenontv_1 folksy-looking entrepreneur.  Since accidentally discovering a home brew for greening up those yellow spots in the lawn, he’s concocted recipes for durn near everything.  And now for $49.95 (or the bargain price of $29.95 if you act before 9/18) he’ll send you his ebook, in which he reveals his secret recipe for killing insects ONCE AND FOR ALL.  (Permanency is key.)

His website presents this hard-to-refute argument for buying the book.

In order to get all the recipes found in this
ebook "Forceful Insecticides & Fertilizers: Homemade
Recipes"
you would probably have to do as John Perez did.
Study chemistry, meet the best exterminators, read dozens of books,
talk with
experts for hours.  And most of all, you would have had to create recipes, analyze their
results and draw conclusions.
Now,
the best recipes and techniques… can be found in this condensed,
practical, complete and immediately exploitable work.

Yeah, think of the tedious research we’d all have to do, since NOBODY in academia or industry has ever done any.

The benefits of using his recipes are obvious.  If you buy this ebook and you’re a professional exterminator, "You’ll be obtaining a major, systemic career edge."  And if you’re a professional gardener, "You’ll reduce in your insecticide and fertilizer costs.  Your pocket will of course feel the change."  [Bolding and punctuation in the original.]

And here’s a quote for Amy and all her worm-loving readers:  "Treat your lawn with a deworming concoction. (learn how and why you must do it once a year)  [Yeah, that’s all in the original.]

My favorite quote from the site?  "3 Reasons to Believe What John and I say: Reason one: Maybe you’ve seen John on television."

Take-home message?  If these guys can sell ebooks about gardening, maybe there’s a market for people who aren’t QUACKS. (Sorry, he’s got me bolding and ALL-CAPPING and now I can’t STOP.)  Ya sure can’t argue with the economic model of getting 30 bucks for sending an email.  And if you’ve ever been interviewed on local cable (and I have!) you, too, can use the guaranteed credibility-inducing "As Seen on TV."

Link via email from Kathy Jentz.

Posted by on September 19, 2006 at 3:02 am, in the category Taking Your Gardening Dollar.

16 responses to “As Seen on TV”

1. Heather says:

Oh stars and stripes. Another Jerry… How depressing.

2. Tamara says:

These guys are coming out of the woodwork like cockroaches.

I was recently asked to review a similar and equally bad book by “Dr.” Miles Bader:

3. A good glass of red

Couple of rum and cokes

6 or 7 Negra Modelo’s

Who gives a damn if you got a weed or two. Don’t get me started about ‘these’ guys.

4. Trey says:

You missed the exciting “affiliate program” link at the bottom of the web page. “Earn An Enormous 50% Commission Everytime Your Referrals Buy “Forceful Insecticides & Fertilizers: Home-Made Recipes”!

Now I am hooked!

5. Jenn says:

Here’s a fellow who I admire:

Loves worms, and all the bugs that benefit us gardeners. If you want advice that’s fit for the future? He’s a good place to start.

6. Anita Campbell says:

To John Perez
    Dear John
    I recently bought two clematis plants and since planting them they have taken to attaching themselves to our back fence in lightning time.
    I have been on the NET and found some info about boosting your clematis, however, it is in America.
    Do you have any books, videos etc. about Clematis that I could purchase. I can’t wait to see the flowers when they appear. My husband and I live in Forster on the Mid North Coast of NSW.
    I watched your program on the ABC on clematis and fell in love with them at once.
    Thank you.
    Regards… Anita Campbell

7. I think the Aerogarden is intended for the same demographic as chia pets.

$14.5 million in sales? Cripes.

8. firefly says:

Where this will fall down is the cost and availability of replacement bulbs — $19.95 for a set of 2, and they only fit the Aerogarden, of course!

And, because they’re fluorescent and contain mercury, spent bulbs have to be disposed of as hazardous waste or specially recycled.

9. Jen says:

I like the Aerogarden, but could never afford it, and thus will never have it. :)

10. Jeff Gillman says:

You can make your own aeorgarden for about $50 or less depending on the supplies you have around the house. I’m doing a project with an advanced plant propagation class this year where they are given an ultrasonic humidifier and $20 and told to make a chamber for propagating willows (too easy — I know). You just take the ultrasonic device out of the humidifier, attach it to the base of some kind of a large sealed container (this is the toughest part as the attachment must be well sealed) and poke some holes in the top for plants to be placed into — a nutrient mixture (which can/should include organic fertilizer) is then placed into the container where the ultrasonics make it into an extremely fine mist. it’s lots of fun, but you’ve got to be careful — I have given myself a shock in the past due to carelessness.

11. layanee says:

I know many who have wanted this …device, for want of a better term, but it does seem a bit clumsy. I think it takes away the fun of gardening, have of which is playing in the soil! Gardening shouldn’t be quite so sterile should it?

12. Karen says:

It’s not fair of them to show those tiny plants just bursting with wee tomatoes. This time of year, with the last of the crop a distant memory and another seven months before my first tomato of next year will even think of being ripe, I would consider buying just about anything, no matter how ugly or sterile or overpriced, if it meant getting real tomatoes. Of course, it wouldn’t grow real tomatoes, so I can resist, but the promise is just cruel.

13. When the apocalypse come – I want 20+ of these – LOL. See Will Smith’s character in “I Am Legend” using one to grow edibles efficiently.

14. eliz says:

You gave yourself a shock, Jeff. Well, that’s the end of the homemade aerogarden for me. If you, the expert, shocked yourself, I would blow the house up.

15. nolafilm says:

i got an aeorgarden as a gift for xmas, and i’m very impressed. i used to have a really nice herb garden in new orleans, pre-katrina, and the climate in nashville (where I’ve relocated) is much tougher on basil and other herbs. i set up the aerogarden in my basement about 6 weeks ago, and it is overflowing with a nice mix of basil, parsley, chives, dill, mint and thyme. my only complaint is i’d like to be able to choose the herbs i want to plant, rather than the ones that came with the kit (cilantro over thyme, for example). other than that, i really recommend it if you like cooking with fresh herbs and don’t have the climate or patience for real gardening.

16. His methods really do work. http://www.squidoo.com/Home_and_Lawn_Pest_Control has some good information on his recipes and him.